How do you remove a "rice burner" exhaust system?

Hello. I just bought a 1996 Civic HX 2dr and the car came with a very loud exhaust aka "rice burner". Here is a pic for reference (
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7199/1003636ha1.jpg). Could someone
please tell me how I can remove it? Can I remove just the tip or do I have to replace the entire exhaust system with an OEM? If I remove the tip do I have to install something else in its place? Thanks.

You're going to have to replace that muffler. Looks like a Magnaflow. Changing the tip won't change anything.
Steve Mackie wrote:

OK, thanks. Do you know how much it would cost me to have someone take the old one out and put in an OEM one, given that I provide it?
On 26 Jul 2006 07:17:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How good are you with tools? Mufflers and exhaust systems are not very complicated, just awkward to work on. There are clamps and hangars to deal with, also bolts that have frozen with age. But there are tools and solvents that make the job fairly easy for a "shade tree mechanic."
I have no idea how much a shop would charge if you provide the hardware. Many do not like doing that sort of thing. Some don't mind. It is not just the muffler, there are other bits that will also need replacing. But the whole job should take well under an hour for a skilled mechanic.
Hope this helps. Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher
I can't imagine that a stock Civic owner with visions of "The Fast and the Furious" would want to trade you their stocker even for your "upgraded" exhaust. You could share the labor or they might just do you a favor!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Shouldn't take too much except for the rust I see in the picture may have frozen some of the bolts. You will need to replace the entire muffler and tip because it is a Magnaflow muffler. Check Craigslist or Ebay and you may find a used OEM one that a person has taken off of theirs relatively cheaper than what Honda would want.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd be more concerned as to how this car was treated. My experience has been that when a fart-can is out back, the car had been beat on by a young driver who was attempting to gain some "street cred".
Thank you all for your responses. I think I will replace the muffler myself. Now, should I replace it with a Honda OEM muffler or this Bosal one (http://tinyurl.com/md67t ).What do you guys think? Thanks.
On 28 Jul 2006 18:11:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It depends on how long you plan to keep the car. The Honda muffler will probably last at least 10 years. The replacement muffler--who knows. But several years at least.
Unlike more critical parts, I can't see any compelling reason to spring for the Honda muffler.
Make sure to have plenty of penetrating oil on hand and allow time for the frozen bolts to soak. WD 40 is NOT penetrating oil. You need something like Liquid Wrench or Kroil. Liquid Wrench has been around a lot longer than you have and I know it works.