importing a car (civic) to Canada from USA

Greetings,
I will be moving back to Canada from the US where I purchased a 2001 Civic EX. The process seems straight forward enough, but I can't figure
out what it is going to cost to have it modified for Canada (day time running lights and Odometer switched to KMs is all I think it needs).
Anyone have experience doing with bringing a car into Canada?
Thanks,
B.
BigBrew wrote:

----------------
Losing all your warranties (if you resell it) could be worth far more than the conversions. You'll have to drive it into the ground. Get the cluster off eBay, or have a friend pick one up in Canada. The front page of the manual has a form to record the 'deed'.
As for 'experience', I've walked away from two American CR-V's because they wanted to get 'market value' for them, even tho they were from USA.
'Curly'

If you get a Letter of Compliance from American Honda, you keep your warranties.

If it's dual-labeled you don't need to change it.
They don't care which system is dominant.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
yeah, it should be dual-labeled, if not then get a new cover off ebay or something. It would be a waste of money to have to change everything.
Thanks for the links. The car is out of warrantee for anything "important" so that is not an issue. I plan on keeping it for a long time anyhow. The speedo is dual labelled so I'm ok there. I'm not going to get another used car up there as I couldn't make the money work (its all tied up in current car), have no time, and I am not particularly interested in a used Canadian vehicle of the same vintage compared to my US vehicle which is in mint condition.
B.
mopa wrote:

New cars generally cost less in Canada then in the states. You might be surprised that a used Canadian vehicle may sell for less in Canada then it would in the states.

Jamco wrote:

They depreciate (from new??) much faster because of the climate. No one is bringing cars from Canada to the States, it is always the reverse direction. B.

I've never heard the climate being blamed for a vehicle's depreciation before. That's a good one!
If you believe that, I have a pair of mile long suspension bridges for sale. Sorry they have to go as a pair, they can't be split up.
Brian
Brian Smith wrote:

Because you haven't heard of it, doesn't make it not so.
What does cold weather starting do the engine of a car? It lowers its longevity and therefore the value of a car. What about 5 months of salt on the roads vs no salt? Which car is worth more: A five year car from Thunder Bay, Ontario or one from South Carolina? Which one is going to last longer and is therefore worth more money? Why isn't there a market in the US for used Canadian cars? Especially if Canadian cars cost less to purchase new? Because of the climate.

Hilarious!

Hilarious!
yup, as soon as you cross the border to canada its all snow,igloos, polar bears, and salt on the roads. Kinda strange how the polar bears know not to cross the border to the states. The city I live in doesn't use salt on the roads in the winter...perhaps you should get your head out of your ass before you come up with such stupid comments.
When I bought my car I had to sign a contract saying I wouldn't resell it in the states....

Jamco wrote:

What exactly was stupid? Cars depreciate faster in Canada because of the climate. Can you show data on five year old civics that shows otherwise? Can you give a better explanation of the data? I didn't reference polar bears or anything like that.
If I over generalized about the climate, so be it, Canada is a big country. Do they not salt the roads in your city because it is too cold for the salt to work effectively? Or your city can't afford it? Or it doesn't snow there, or they are protecting the environment.... There are plenty exceptions to just about everything and calling someone stupid because you can think of an exception isn't particularly helpful.
I'm returning to the city I was born in and lived in for 25 years after a 10 year absence. The roads are salted there and winter seems to last forever.
B.

This is a potentially useful piece of information.

Um, no. A friend of mine was transferred to California. He bought a new Buick Century and brought it down with him.
He called GM and got a Certificate of Compliance for his VIN, which indicated that the car was in compliance except for "minor labeling requirements". And since the car was built within a NAFTA region, there was not even any duty. He passed unmolested.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

I mean as a business, not for personal reasons. Lots of personal reasons to bring your car with you if you are transferred in either direction. But I don't think any US car dealer is bringing in Canadian used vehicles for sale in the US, except for certain unique models (Hummers in particular).

If the speedometer is dual-labeled, it's fine as-is. They don't care about the odometer.

The government's own sites: http://www.riv.ca / and http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html
and another: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm
The use of Google will greatly enhance your knowledge.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
If I leave the lights on my '01 Accord EX turned on, then use the remote control to lock the car......the lights go off after about 10 seconds. I think that meets the Canadian requirements. Try it. I live in California.