Leaking water into trunk

I am getting water leaking into my trunk everytime it rains, etc.... I think it's coming in the taillights. Any suggestions on how to solve this

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in 3331.bay.webtv.net:

Replace the taillight gaskets. Easy and cheap.
Problem is threefold: 1) water runs down the rain gutter on either side of the trunk/hatch, right on top of the taillights, and 2) the nuts holding the taillights sometimes come loose, and 3) the gaskets themselves deteriorate over time
The gaskets are about 3/8" thick, and are soft foam rubber. they compress to near nothing once installed.
Some will suggest siliconing the taillights on. I strongly un-recommend this approach unless there is significant rust under the gasket.
Don't overtighten the nuts when installing the new gaskets! The last thing you want to do is break the stud out of the plastic lamp housing.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
One solution: Disassemble all taillight assemblies. Remove old gaskets. Clean thoroughly with water. Let dry. Apply weather appropriate caulking from your local hardware store to both sides of the gaskets. Re-assemble. I did this about four years ago with my 91 Civic. No leaks since.
You can buy new gaskets and get the same effect as well. The advantage is that, if the gaskets leak again, you don't have that nasty caulking to scrape off the car metal.

Is it an Accord? Look in taillights after or during a rain, they may be filling up with water. If the gasket gets old the groove under the trunk pours water into the light, when it gets half full it spills into the trunk.
I took out the light and sealed it with a bead of silicone. I caulked that body seam to encourage water to go away from the light. Then for insurance I drilled a 1/32nd hole or two in the bottom of the lens where the water pooled. Worked for me.