Old Accord - Ignition switch oddity

'90 Accord coupe, 4 cylinder, automatic trans... this car just turned over 100K miles, was always well maintained, garaged, and is in remarkable condi
tion throughout. Last year, the transmission had a brain malfunction, whic h was repaired. More recently, the ignition switch doesn't always cooperat e.
Sometimes when I shut it off, it has become a fight to turn the ignition al l the way off and remove the key. Force doesn't help. Patience does, as w hen I turn the key back and forth it will always eventually allow me to tur n the key all the way counter clockwise and remove it, frustration notwiths tanding.
Does anyone recognize this as a common problem, and/or know of a fix? I'd rather not change out the ignition switch and have to carry two keys for th e car unless it's the only way around this problem. Thanks.
uncle K
uncle K wrote:

On an antique like that, I would just buy a whole new ignition lock and door lock set and you would have ONE new key working all new locks.
Alternatively, if you can access a time machine, you could lubricate the lock cylinders once a year, for the last 25 years. Trying to lube it now might just gunk-it-up worse.
GW
"Geoff Welsh" wrote in message
uncle K wrote:

On an antique like that, I would just buy a whole new ignition lock and door lock set and you would have ONE new key working all new locks.
Alternatively, if you can access a time machine, you could lubricate the lock cylinders once a year, for the last 25 years. Trying to lube it now might just gunk-it-up worse.
GW
***
Sometimes a worn key will give this. Get a new one cut at the dealer from the number on file for that vehicle. Cheap first option! Larry
On Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:01:20 PM UTC-7, Larry wrote:

Thanks, Larry. Good point, especially since I/we drive several cars and th is one gets the least use, and then, only when we're in another state. I w as using a somewhat worn key, while my wife has a nearly new one... I can g et by with this problem, but I don't want her to get stuck during the few t imes she drives it. Since this is just an intermittent PITA, maybe a new k ey for her and an upgrade for mine would postpone having to take any drasti c action for a few years.
U K
On Saturday, October 11, 2014 2:00:27 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:

Antique yes, but this car has the wear and gunk of a 5 year old car, especi ally the interior, which is in pristine condition. I appreciate the sugges tion, but at worst, I'd change the ignition and carry two keys, as opposed to fixing what isn't broken.
U K