Radio Stopped Working in 2000 Honda Civic

Page 1 of 2
Hello ...
I have a 2000 Honda Civic. It has a radio and a cassette player.
This morning, I turned on the radio and it's not working. I get a brief few seconds of broken-up sound, then static. I cannot receive
any stations on AM or FM. Just static.
The cassette player is working fine.
Might anyone know what would cause this? Is there anything I can do, or do I have to replace the radio?
Many thanks for any information.
Linda W.

IT's time to upgrade Linda. Your radio is probably toast. Get a decent aftermarket one with a CD player and I POd conntion , USB etc. Very reasonably priced and much better. Or you can go to a junk yard and get a Honda deck if you just want the same thing fo $50 give or take.

Thanks, Clete.
My concern about a new one with a CD player instead of a cassette player is that I have a lot of tapes that I wouldn't be able to use any more.
How would I find a junk yard that might have a radio with a cassette player?
And are they expensive to install? I'm guessing that I'd need to go to a place that installs radios, rather than my regular auto repair shop, right?
Thanks again.
Linda

Hi Linda,
This could be a radio fault, but possibly just a loose antenna connection or a broken antenna wire. I wouldn't assume the radio is 'toast' without doing some simple checks. If these don't show anything up, then think about the radio.
Wiggle the antenna and see if anything changes. Try looking under the dash for a black cable about the thickness of a ballpoint and see if you can see where it plugs into the radio. Try pushing the cable into the radio gently and see if that helps.
Good luck!
Larry

Thanks, Larry.
I looked under the dash, but could only find wires bundled together. I need to some Internet searching to see if I can find just where to look for the radio cable.
I did try wiggling the antenna -- no change.
When I first turn it on, there is some brief sound, then just static. I also noticed that when I shift gears or turn on the turn signal, et cetera, I hear that particular noise through the radio. And when I drove in an area with power lines and traffic lights, the static got louder.
Linda
On 03/01/2011 05:28 PM, Linda wrote:

REAL good chance the antenna lead has fallen out / gotten unplugged from the radio if it is making those kinds of noise.
Take it to your neighbor/local garage for a quick look-see.
Can't hurt.
technomaNge

Thanks!
I called my mechanic to ask about the radio, and he said they don't do any audio work. He referred me to Best Buy -- that would be if I was going to purchase a new radio. He recommended having Best Buy install it, too.
I'll call back to see if he would look at the antenna, though.
Linda

Best Buy is a pretty good choice.

If the installer is good, that's the first thing he'll look at.
And if you end up needing a new radio, have fun choosing! the world is your oyster when it comes to aftermarket audio accessories. You can get iPod connectivity, and transfer all your tapes to the iPod. That way you can carry, literally, all your tapes with you all the time. My wife has a tape player in her Tercel, but it hasn't been used since she got an iPod years ago. The iPod is SO much more convenient.
--
Tegger

If I do need a new radio, I'll look into the options. Actually, I don't have an iPod at all right now. And my cell phone is about six or more years old, very basis, doesn't take photos or do any tricks, I just use it to make phone calls. :-) I'm pretty low-tech. I just got cable TV two years ago, and that was only because of the digital conversion. Part of the reason I don't have a lot of gadgets is because I don't think I really need them, and partly, it's because I'm self-employed and so quite budget-conscious. So I'll have to explore what's out there.
It would be great, though, if I could just fix what I have. I just need to figure out who to take it to who won't charge me a fortune to check it out.
Thanks!
Linda

UPDATE!!!
This morning, while I was driving, I turned on the radio and it came right on!!! It was on an AM station. I drove for a little while, then I decided to see if the FM also had reception. So I pressed the buttom to switch to FM. AND ... just static. I switched back to AM ... AND ... just static. But before I pressed the button, the AM was just fine.
So now I'm thinking the radio actually is indeed working and it's some kind of a connection problem. I pressed the AM/FM button a bunch of times and jiggled the antenna -- just static.
But when I first started the car, the radio worked.
Hmmmmm ....
Linda

Still could go either way, radio or antenna.

I guess I need to find someplace to take it where I could get it checked out without it costing more than the radio itself.
Linda

Have you looked at the installdr.com website I mentioned earlier? You or a friend can do this yourself. A shop will probably charge at least $50 labor to do it for you.

..
Seth ...
II did see your recommendations -- and thanks!
I'll be honest and admit I'm nervous about trying something like this myself -- and my friends are about as un-expert as I am. :-) Do you really think a complete and total novice could do this without messing it up?
Linda

Pulling a radio out to swap it or inspect wiring really only requires basic tool knowledge. If you're nervous about it, then don't do it. I'm not looking to push anyone into something but just want to make sure it's not dismissed due to not knowing what is involved.
With a #2 phillips and a flat blade screwdriver (possibly an 8mm socket), one can have the radio out and in their lap in 10 minutes. http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466053.PDF is the specific doc for your vehicle.
wrote:>

Yes, that's very likely. And that's why it's necessary to do proper diagnostics on the unit. Any bad connection could be inside the radio itself, in the wiring to the radio, or in the antenna cabling.
Unfortunately, there's no "magic bullet" fix here. You're going to need to invest some time or some money, possibly both. There's a reason why technicians are paid what they're paid.
If you're really short on cash, you could do your own experimentation: The next time the radio decides to behave, leave its buttons alone and see if it behaves itself the whole time. If it does, try thumping the radio face or the surrounding dash with your hand (not pressing any buttons) and see if that upsets the reception; open and close the doors and trunk a few times; shut off and restart the car. And so on.
The idea here is to try and determine if there is any sort of discernible pattern to the failures. Not only will you educate yourself, but you will also accumulate very valuable information that may greatly reduce the invoice amount should you entrust this repair to a pro. Plus he'll be impressed with your diligence, which may buy you an above-and-beyond type of job. Those guys are smart. Many of them like smart customers.
--
Tegger

Thanks, Tegger.
The radio is working again today, so I'm going to take your advice and see what I can determine on my own.
When I started the car, I turned on the radio and it came on. When I got to my destination, I did not turn off the radio when I turned off the car. (Usually, I would also turn the radio off by the on/off button). Less than 30 minutes later, I returned to the car, and when I started it, the radio came on. I did not risk pushing the AM/FM button or any other buttons. After about 30 minutes of driving and one other stop, the radio was still coming on when I started the car.
I'll try your suggestions in terms of thumping, opening and closing things, et cetera. And then, as you said, I'll have all that information to share with the pro.
In the meantime, do you think it's okay to let the radio be on as long as it stays on? I mean, is there any chance I'm causing any damage to the car, do you think?
Thanks so much -- to you and everyone -- for all this advice. It is SO helpful.
Linda

No problem at all leaving the radio on all the time. No damage will result. If you want quiet, just turn the volume down all the way rather than turn the radio off.
It's starting to sound like your problem may be in the power supply or the power switch. Now that we know you were turning it off each time you turned off the car, you've probably just worn out the power button.

You're welcome.
--
Tegger

Well, the radio worked again when I was out tonight.
I have noticed that it's still static-y -- background static -- while I am listening to it. More so near power lines, I think. And I haven't tried pressing the FM button yet.
As long as I'm not doing any damage to the car by playing the radio even with these potential issues -- power supply or connection, et cetera -- I'll just see how it goes this week. If it goes out again, I'll have all this information to present to wherever I take the car to have it checked out. :-)
Thanks again!
Linda
In article

That is definitely antenna.
What happens when you touch the antenna while the radio is playing? (I forget--can you do that on that particular car?)