Radio Stopped Working in 2000 Honda Civic

UPDATE!!!

This morning, while I was driving, I turned on the radio and it came right on!!! It was on an AM station. I drove for a little while, then I decided to see if the FM also had reception. So I pressed the buttom to switch to FM. AND ... just static. I switched back to AM ... AND ... just static. But before I pressed the button, the AM was just fine.

So now I'm thinking the radio actually is indeed working and it's some kind of a connection problem. I pressed the AM/FM button a bunch of times and jiggled the antenna -- just static.

But when I first started the car, the radio worked.

Hmmmmm ....

Linda

Reply to
Linda

Still could go either way, radio or antenna.

Reply to
Seth

I guess I need to find someplace to take it where I could get it checked out without it costing more than the radio itself.

Linda

Reply to
Linda

Your car takes what is called "double din". All stereos at Best Buy (in fact almost all stereos ever, except ones of extreme over length) other than ones specifically for GM and Chrysler (the aforementioned "din and a half") will fit. Having a "double din" opening means the installation kit for a "standard single DIN radio" will include a cover or pocket for the extra space above or below the new radio. A "double din" stereo will not require such a mounting kit.

Not being able to get even this most basic information out of Best Buy should give you a good idea as to if they should be trusted or not... For car stereo knowledge, this is pretty much 101 info.

If you actually go to a Best Buy (or pretty much any place that carries car stereos) you will see these installation kits as well as wiring harnesses (so you don't have to hack up the cars factory wiring). As mentioned earlier, Crutchfield provides all that for no additional cost.

So, based on what I think you said earlier about wanting to retain having a tape deck crutchfield has 4 that will fit. $50 to $269 (the $269 unit comes with a CD changer to mount in the trunk or under a seat).

That same $50 stereo bought at most retail places you would also have to get a wiring harness (about $8) and a mounting kit (about $15). Then pay for installation. Using the instructions that Crutchfield provides (and you can preview what they are like by looking at the installdr.com web site I listed earlier) you see that basic tools are all that are needed to perform this yourself (or a neighbor or friend who is mildly handy).

All this of course assuming it is the stereo and not the antenna. But again, using basic tool knowledge and the installdr.com website you (or a friend) can pull the radio yourself and make sure the antenna is secure.

Reply to
Seth

Have you looked at the installdr.com website I mentioned earlier? You or a friend can do this yourself. A shop will probably charge at least $50 labor to do it for you.

Reply to
Seth

Seth ...

II did see your recommendations -- and thanks!

I'll be honest and admit I'm nervous about trying something like this myself -- and my friends are about as un-expert as I am. :-) Do you really think a complete and total novice could do this without messing it up?

Linda

Reply to
Linda

Pulling a radio out to swap it or inspect wiring really only requires basic tool knowledge. If you're nervous about it, then don't do it. I'm not looking to push anyone into something but just want to make sure it's not dismissed due to not knowing what is involved.

With a #2 phillips and a flat blade screwdriver (possibly an 8mm socket), one can have the radio out and in their lap in 10 minutes.

is the specific doc for your vehicle.

Reply to
Seth

Linda wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com:

Yes, that's very likely. And that's why it's necessary to do proper diagnostics on the unit. Any bad connection could be inside the radio itself, in the wiring to the radio, or in the antenna cabling.

Unfortunately, there's no "magic bullet" fix here. You're going to need to invest some time or some money, possibly both. There's a reason why technicians are paid what they're paid.

If you're really short on cash, you could do your own experimentation: The next time the radio decides to behave, leave its buttons alone and see if it behaves itself the whole time. If it does, try thumping the radio face or the surrounding dash with your hand (not pressing any buttons) and see if that upsets the reception; open and close the doors and trunk a few times; shut off and restart the car. And so on.

The idea here is to try and determine if there is any sort of discernible pattern to the failures. Not only will you educate yourself, but you will also accumulate very valuable information that may greatly reduce the invoice amount should you entrust this repair to a pro. Plus he'll be impressed with your diligence, which may buy you an above-and-beyond type of job. Those guys are smart. Many of them like smart customers.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com:

Thanks, Tegger.

The radio is working again today, so I'm going to take your advice and see what I can determine on my own.

When I started the car, I turned on the radio and it came on. When I got to my destination, I did not turn off the radio when I turned off the car. (Usually, I would also turn the radio off by the on/off button). Less than 30 minutes later, I returned to the car, and when I started it, the radio came on. I did not risk pushing the AM/FM button or any other buttons. After about 30 minutes of driving and one other stop, the radio was still coming on when I started the car.

I'll try your suggestions in terms of thumping, opening and closing things, et cetera. And then, as you said, I'll have all that information to share with the pro.

In the meantime, do you think it's okay to let the radio be on as long as it stays on? I mean, is there any chance I'm causing any damage to the car, do you think?

Thanks so much -- to you and everyone -- for all this advice. It is SO helpful.

Linda

Reply to
Linda

Linda wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a11g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

No problem at all leaving the radio on all the time. No damage will result. If you want quiet, just turn the volume down all the way rather than turn the radio off.

It's starting to sound like your problem may be in the power supply or the power switch. Now that we know you were turning it off each time you turned off the car, you've probably just worn out the power button.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@a11g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Well, the radio worked again when I was out tonight.

I have noticed that it's still static-y -- background static -- while I am listening to it. More so near power lines, I think. And I haven't tried pressing the FM button yet.

As long as I'm not doing any damage to the car by playing the radio even with these potential issues -- power supply or connection, et cetera -- I'll just see how it goes this week. If it goes out again, I'll have all this information to present to wherever I take the car to have it checked out. :-)

Thanks again!

Linda

Reply to
Linda

That is definitely antenna.

What happens when you touch the antenna while the radio is playing? (I forget--can you do that on that particular car?)

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes, I do have an antenna. I think it gets a little more static-y. I'll check it when I'm out later and let you know.

Linda

Reply to
Linda

P.S. When I was trying to get it to work -- which now, it still is, with a little static, although I have left it on one station and not tried pushing any of the buttons -- I jiggled the antenna and it didn't make a difference. But I'll see what happens when I just touch it.

Linda

Reply to
Linda

Hi Linda:

Here is a link with some photos/diagrams on the 00 Civic radio antenna installation. Hope this helps.

As for shopping for a new radio (if needed) you can go to www.crutchfield.c= om, then go to "outfit my car". punch in the car information, and it will bring up the available radio-cassette systems and CD-radio systems that will fit your Civic. You can buy from them, or lookup the model numbers in BestBuy or ABC warehouse, and you may find the same models available from them as well. Price is pretty much the same from Crutchfield or the Big-Box stores.

Good luck!

Reply to
Priyantha Mathupala

I think this thread has pretty much run its course.

Reply to
Clete