Re: TOTAL Loss of Oil: Car is OK...for now, anyway

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

One more question, G-Man...would it be OK to use the Amsoil synthetic on my '92 accord, or should I stay with dino? I've heard about the possibility of seals leaking with full synthetics on older vehicles, and I had the cam seals on this car replaced a few months ago due to leaks so I just want to make sure. Thanks. - Paul
It won't cause leaks. BUT, if you have a leak, it will be worse with the Synthetic.
I'm using it in my '96 with 185k on it. No leaks!
I have a lot of Hondas, 06 EX-V6 NAV (mine) 06 EX-V6 6-Spd (#2 sons) 05 Pilot (wifes) 05 Accord LX 4-Cyl (#1 sons) '95 Accord LX 4-Cyl (mine too!)
All are using synthetic. I do all the std. maintenance myself. About the only thing I let someone else do is timing belt and water pump. I could probaby do it, but it takes time.
G-Man

Alright, G-Man....you are the "man", so to speak, so I'll try synthetic in my '92. Thanks again. - Paul.
Paul S wrote:

As has been stated here previously by JB, Amsoil is NOT a full synthetic.
Redline IS as well as one one other rather obscure brand. I use Redline products with great results but there is a risk of leakage with older engines due to different formulations for seal "softening."
Dino oils in engines is fine so long as you select a good brand and change the fluid regularly such as every 5K (miles) or so. Just stay away fro penzoyle and kwaker state...
JT

I switched my previous car, a Mistubishi 2.6 liter, to Mobil One, and the cam cover seal began oozing oil and I could never get it to stop totally, even with new gasket. Not enough to discourage me, though. But with Honda engines, they seem to stay tight even with synthetic, at old age.

I've had oil analysis on and off over the years. (Not with this company). One problem is that different additive packages, etc. read differently in the analysis, so you can get some odd readings and false alarms on a one-shot test. For the best monitoring, you need to do periodic testing, using the same oil all the time, to get a baseline so that you can see when something changes.

Thank you - that is helpful. Sounds just like medical tests! Kinda scary.... - Paul
Paul S wrote:

Use a quality oil and stay away from the snake oil additives.

"snake" oil additives.....very amusing. - Paul

But what if you drive a Cobra? Or a Viper?

Or just an old rattler?

Better and better...even MORE amusing!
- Paul.