Re: TOTAL Loss of Oil: Car is OK...for now, anyway

"snake" oil additives.....very amusing. - Paul

Reply to
Paul S

Alright, G-Man....you are the "man", so to speak, so I'll try synthetic in my '92. Thanks again. - Paul.

Reply to
Paul S

As has been stated here previously by JB, Amsoil is NOT a full synthetic.

Redline IS as well as one one other rather obscure brand. I use Redline products with great results but there is a risk of leakage with older engines due to different formulations for seal "softening."

Dino oils in engines is fine so long as you select a good brand and change the fluid regularly such as every 5K (miles) or so. Just stay away fro penzoyle and kwaker state...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The only auto tranny additive that I can state positive results about is LubeGuard which you won't find in your typical autoparts store. It is pricey and can be found at transmission parts suppliers though.

It is NOT a super lubricant but a stabilizer that effectively raises the boiling point of standard dino tranny fluids. It is also a cleaner but has NO value regarding stoppage of leaks.

A friend (who I went to high school with) that operated a tranny repair shop for thirty five years turn me on to this stuff back in the late 1980's.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

anything wqrong with Lucas additives. Racers trust them in

I believe they are different companies. Lucas Oil is an INdiana company, not european. I wouldnt trust a fluid dealer for hardware. Like asking the plumber to fix your computer.

Reply to
Thom

Thank you....I will research this additive. The shift delay is getting worse and worse all the time, and is just plain frustrating. But a shot tranny from a bad additive would be mucho more frustrating.- Paul

Reply to
Paul S

I've had oil analysis on and off over the years. (Not with this company). One problem is that different additive packages, etc. read differently in the analysis, so you can get some odd readings and false alarms on a one-shot test. For the best monitoring, you need to do periodic testing, using the same oil all the time, to get a baseline so that you can see when something changes.

I switched my previous car, a Mistubishi 2.6 liter, to Mobil One, and the cam cover seal began oozing oil and I could never get it to stop totally, even with new gasket. Not enough to discourage me, though. But with Honda engines, they seem to stay tight even with synthetic, at old age.

But what if you drive a Cobra? Or a Viper?

Or just an old rattler?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Thank you - that is helpful. Sounds just like medical tests! Kinda scary.... - Paul

Reply to
Paul S

Better and better...even MORE amusing!

- Paul.