Replace timing belt? ? ?

Page 1 of 2
I have a 2001 Honda with 90,000 miles, and I'd like to keep it for another five years.
I had some recall work done yesterday, and the dealer told me the car was
overdue by two years for a recommended replacement of timing belt with water-pump seals.
Should I have this work done, or is it just a Honda grab for maintenance that's really unnecessary?

If it were a "grab", it wouldn't be a "Honda" grab, but a "dealer" grab. The dealer is a totally separate company from Honda. But it's not a "grab".
I'd get the work done as per the dealer's recommendation, along with the water pump, which lives under the timing belt.
Your maintenance schedule is 7 years and 105K miles. You're not quite there with mileage, but are 2 years over for time. In theory, you could chance leaving it for another year or two, but...
Look at it this way: The current belt will not go another five years without serious risk of failure, so you're replacing it at some point anyway in the next few years.
So, two scenarios: 1) If you get it done now, not only do you eliminate the risk of getting stranded, or of expensive valve damage, but you get five years out of the expenditure before you get rid of the car. 2) If you wait another year or two, you're running the risk of getting stranded, or of suffering valve damage, plus when you get rid of the car you've only got three or four years out of your expenditure.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Thanks. I'll get the work done now, although the price of $900 seems steep to me. I probably could get it done cheaper at Midas or some other discount shop, but I think I'll go to the Honda dealer.

SNIP> Get on the phone and call a few dealers. You might be surprised and the difference in prices. More than $200 between top to bottom when I did it. On this job I'd try to stick with a dealer-certainly wouldn't go to a Midas or one similar. MLD
On 4/15/2010 7:56 AM, MLD wrote:

There's always Jiffy Lube! That way you could get your transmission AND rear differential flushed at the same time. They'll probably re-energize your headlights and torque your framis for free. <g>
On 4/15/2010 7:19 AM, Ray wrote:

There is an independent import car repair in my town in Michigan. The owner just replaced my timing belt and water pump for $480. The economy is depressed here so the pricing is probably a bit lower.
Michael

He probably used aftermarket parts and aftermarket coolant, and didn't change any of the oil seals. Or you've got a Civic and his shop rate is really low.
Civic is going to be a lot cheaper than an Accord, or any V6 Honda. You don't say what car you've got.
You do have to be very careful when comparing prices from one garage to another, and when considering prices reported to you on Usenet.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Absolutely true, but I do believe that the price of $699.00 for the job on a 2003 Accord with the V-6 at a Honda dealer, as was posted today, is quite a bit more reasonable than $900.00.
I just haven't heard of any timing belt job on a Japanese sedan going close to a grand in cost.
On 4/15/2010 5:29 PM, Tegger wrote:

Tegger,
He used a new water pump, seals, and belt from Honda. I know because I bought them myself. I have known him personally for years. He does very good work. I trust him. That says a lot. My car is a 1998 CRV. He does not mark up the parts. He charges the same price he pays. He just charges labour. He tells me that it saves him time if I just get the parts in advance over the internet or from a dealer in a town 40 miles away. So, if I know what is wrong I buy the parts first. If I don't know, I bring him the car, he diagnosis the problem and sends me away until the parts come in. He told me that generally he would not install non-honda parts. There are some exceptions. We live in a small town. He values his reputation. He simply refuses to put in any part that he feels is not up to his durability standards.
He rebuilds transmissions only because he found that he cannot trust anyone else to do the rebuild for him.
He quoted me a higher price for this work, but charged me 150 dollars less because he said it was a lot easier to do than he thought it would be.
He is the best mechanic I have ever known. His knowledge of automobiles impresses me.
Michael

That's very odd. If he's operating as a business, he'd be paying 15% to 25% off full-retail for OEM parts. Garages normally pay this wholesale rate, then mark it back up to full-retail for resale to you. They make a good chunk of their gross this way.
If he's willing to let you pay full-retail for the parts, then bring them to him, he's giving up a large portion of his potential revenue. From a business perspective, this does not make any sense.

Again, this makes no sense. If he's operating as a business, the dealership would deliver directly to him at least once a day at no charge. So if the parts are in stock, he can get them in a few hours, and more cheaply than you could. Even if they are NOT in stock at the dealer, it just means he'd have to wait like anybody else (even the Internet suppliers), for the parts to be sent to the dealer from the nearest Honda DC.
--
Tegger

On 4/17/2010 3:09 PM, Tegger wrote:

He told me that Honda will not discount to him. I pay the same price as does he. So, there is no point for him to buy the parts.
I was getting a new fuse box a little while ago and asked him again about this. He told me to check the price I was quoted. Honda quoted him the same price. So, it appears that Honda perhaps wants to discourage third party repair shops.
A couple of years ago it was the ignition switch. The assy with wires etc cost about 60 bucks. Same to him. This was the very problematic ignition switch that would kill your engine as you drove around. I bought the updated model coded red. Again, same price.
Michael

You mean the DEALER will not discount to him? Honda sells to the dealer; the dealer then sells to the end-user (you or your mechanic).
What you describe is very very strange indeed. I have never personally encountered, or heard of, a Honda dealership that did _not_ discount parts sold to an independent garage. Parts sales to independents are a significant source of revenue for most dealerships, so it pays for dealers to court their business by offering good pricing and fast delivery.
Discounts from SRP are usually in the 20% range. If you're within 20 miles or so, you can often get two or more deliveries a day. Dealers operate vans or pickup trucks, delivering parts to independents all over their area. These vehicles are usually prominently marked, as advertising to other garages.
Perhaps the dealership nearest you is the only one around, and there is no competition. In that case, there would be no point in discounting for anybody, but that's a dangerous game to play.
Or maybe your guy is just slow in paying his bills, and the dealer is retaliating by eliminating his discounts...
--
Tegger

On 4/17/2010 5:43 PM, Tegger wrote:

The closest dealership is 40 miles. The next one is 100 miles. Next time I talk with him, I will ask him why they don't give him discounts.
Michael
Tegger wrote:

Actually it may as labor in many states is not taxable. This eliminates the need to deal with sales tax reporting which is the practice of several mechanics in this area.
But YMMV...
JT

They must be pretty small potatoes if registering for sales tax is something they want to avoid.
Any real garage with any sort of steady volume is going to make more than enough money off parts-resale to offset the hassles of the tax code.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

When a shop is a single person operation, just the time savings can more than offset the tax reporting hassle...
JT

In Texas the paper work is horrific for the first two years, but can continue to be a PITA if your sales yo-yo.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.

My first thought, too.

There are some things that I don't worry about getting genuine Honda (or whatever make) parts. I'll probably replace my Dunlops with some Kumhos, but my belts WILL be Honda parts.
The two indepent shops I've used in the past are about $5-$10/hr less than the Honda dealers around here. Those are both good shops and do you Honda parts unless you say otherwise.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.
On 4/15/2010 8:19 AM, Ray wrote:

Just had it done last week on my wife's 2003 V6 Accord at the Honda dealer. Price for their package was $699 which includes the timing belt, the drive belt, the water pump and replacing the antifreeze. Brought it in at 9:30 AM and got called to pick it up at 2PM.
On 4/15/2010 6:46 AM, Tegger wrote:

I like the way you think, Tegger. Great advice. What's your feeling on the seals vs water pump? Ray mentions the seals but everything I've read to date is water pump as in the complete unit. My thought is that tossing a new pump in while "in the neighborhood" is doing the job right.
What say you?