Should I fix my Lude ?

Hey all,

I know that many people post asking if they should fix their old cars. I'll be naive and say I think my situation is special... :)

1987 Prelude S (Dual Carburated) Manual Trans, no air, no power steering. 217000kms, runs good, gets about 10kms/Litre = 24 MPG (US Gallons)(could be a little better, but its all city driving) Done the clutch, alternator, thermostat, and thinking about doing the water pump soon. Timing belt replaced at 200000kms.

BUT, as I live in Winnipeg (or Winterpeg as it is sometimes affectionately called), its rusty. It hasn't been too bad, but this winter was not good to it.

Got a quote from a body guy, $1500-2000 to cut all the rust out (sunroof, roof, wheel wells, doors, trunk, and filler neck, all are pretty much surface rust, no perforation, except for the filler neck, which is rusted right out, a common problem on preludes and accords of this vintage)

So the big question: Spend $2000 for another 2-

3 years outta the car, OR

we have the option to buy a 1990 Cavalier (2 door) with 103000kms and in really good shape and saftied for $1000.

This is my girlfriend's car, I once said I would break up with her if she drove a piece of detroit junk, but its a hard sell to say she should spend $2000 on her 18 year old honda (which she loves).

Any opinions out there?

disallow

Yes fix the Prelude......my first Honda was a 1982 Prelude.....I did have air and a Moonroof and standard shift..... I loved that car and wish I still had it......

Reply to
DAB

Fix it...with 217 000 kms- your Prelude is far from the grave. I have a

1988 civic with 320 000 kms, and it runs like a top!

-chris

Reply to
Chris

First reaction: Fix it. It is a lude after all. Also, if you maintained so well, it should be good for a few more years, if not more. One thing. is the engine still in great shape? Have you done a compression text on it?

If all is fine, fix it, then Krown it (rust proof it, but you are a fellow canadian, so you know about krown...).

Second reaction: If you do have the $$, or if you desperatly want more creature comfort, don't fix it and buy a third generation Integra. Great car, great fun to drive: reliable. You can have a great one for 10K-ish. in the 1994-1998 range

Reply to
Frank

Agreed - if you maintain it well the Prelude will last a lot longer than the Cavalier, despite the difference in mileage between the two cars.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Fix! Stick with good old honda and if anything you can turn around and sell it anyway but it being way older than the cavalier probably still will outrun it.

-Jeff

Reply to
hondaman