Sticky clutch?

Anyone had any experience of an apparent sticking clutch on a 2002 Honda Accord? It's a 1.8 Sport and I've spoken to a few people with similar "problems".

It only happens every now and again and it's like the clutch hasn't fully disengaged from the gear box when the clutch pedal is pressed (but enough to stop the car trying to move!). Quite why this is happening is beyond me, it's a hydraulic system, there's no leaks and the car (and components) are in otherwise pristine condition. The car has only done 30k miles and the problem happens only intermittently. It's really annoying when you're used to the biting point whilst when driving normally, only to find when pulling away from a busy junction that the car just isn't engaging correctly. Then suddenly.. whoosh.. rubber trails!

I've been told this is a sign of a previous hashy driver, quite likely seeing as it was initially owned by a Honda director! The garage couldn't find a thing wrong with it however... seems like a mystery!

Reply to
bloostar76

"bloostar76" wrote in news:dfae4v$bs0$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

You won't see any. Leaks are internal.

The symptom is you press the pedal to the floor and leave it there, and slowly the clutch re-engages. If the leak's bad enough, it won't ever completely disengage unless you pump the pedal several times, and maybe not even then.

Second possibility (given your low mileage and obvious UK residence) is rust on the input shaft. This rust causes the friction disc to stick on the splines, and it cannot readily float away from the flywheel, so it sometimes turns a bit even with the clutch pressed. Extended driving in city traffic can solve this. Go drive around for an hour or so, making sure you change gear at high revs once in a while.

This occasionally happens on many cars. It's not necessarily a problem, and may be related to rust on the input shaft.

Reply to
TeGGeR®