transmission problem

Hi my name is Syd and I have a 96 Civic EX w/ a manual tranny. For a few weeks now ive been hearing a wierd noise from my engine bay, like a whirring noise, but when i put my clutch in, the noise dissapears.
the problem is on and off, but now a major problem has occured. I went to start my car the other day and it starts fine, but i cant put it into any gear at all, and when i try, the gears will start to grind. when the cars off, i can put it into any gear i want with no problems. Theres plenty of clutch fluid and the clutch pedal goes up and down smoothly, so i have no idea whats going on.

failures this could be is a clutch replacement :-(
Of course, the symptoms are those of the clutch not disengaging. If the pedal feels normal (you indicate it does) the disc is still bound up when it is supposed to be floating freely. Whatever has failed - disc, pressure plate, bearing - the tranny has to come off to get to it. At that time all the parts should be replaced, and shops can give you firm quotes on the job. (It can be done yourself if you have the tools, time and inclination, but it is a forsaken job. I pulled a muscle in my face the last time I put a tranny back in place.) Shop around. Prices can vary widely.
Mike

Just a guess but I would check the slave cylinder operation. From your description, however, I would suspect a failed throwout bearing.
DaveD