06 sonata radio install, poor sound output.

Ok, I finally received a replacement jvc harness, removed the factory sterio and began the tedious process of wiring everything. I hooked my new head unit up and the audio is barely audible and is distorted.
I have to turn my radio all the way up to max just to hear anything. I used a cd to check so as not to be confused with poor reception off the radio. I have not installed the amp or subs yet. My sonata does not have the factory sub or amp. I have an 06 Sonata GLS V6. Any suggestions? As of now my dash looks like someone put a sledge hammer through it.
keith.marino wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 16:33:50 -0500, keith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (keith.marino) wrote:

If the head unit is designed to drive an amp and not speakers I am mildly surprised you get much of any sound out of the speakers without the amp. Put the mp in and see what happens.

Ok, I finally received a replacement jvc harness, removed the factory sterio and began the tedious process of wiring everything. I hooked my new head unit up and the audio is barely audible and is distorted. I have to turn my radio all the way up to max just to hear anything. I used a cd to check so as not to be confused with poor reception off the radio. I have not installed the amp or subs yet. My sonata does not have the factory sub or amp. I have an 06 Sonata GLS V6. Any suggestions? As of now my dash looks like someone put a sledge hammer through it. I am not sure I described it properly. My JVC has more than enough power to drive the cabin speakers. I only use the amp to push the subs and those have not been installed yet. The poor out put I am referring to is coming from the factory speakers. Does anyone have any idea why the sound is so low and distorted? Could it be the volume buttons installed on the stearing wheel? I have tried a couple of different things with grounding with no results. Could a single poor connection cause a problem for the whole system. My next step is to cut all the wires and start over again.
Keith, I have the same problem; please let me know if you find out anything! Thanks! P.S. I have no audio controls on the steering wheel, so I doubt that is a problem! I am suspecting an impedance mismatch. My head unit works with speakers having 4-8 ohms impedance. As yet, I've been unable to locate any information on the Sonata speakers, but I can tell you the speakers are hard-wired into the doors and there is no easy way to get them out short of completely disassembling the entire door. Also, the speakers are connected via wiring harness and a plug-in connection at the speaker housing.