2000 Hyndai - Sonata (Check Engine light is on ...)

All,
I have Hyundai- Sonata of year 2000. For last 2 days suddenly my 'Check Engine' orange light is on and vehicle is getting jerk (If I am raising
speed above 50 MPH) and also when it's become slow. During start-up from stop signal, there is some jerk in vehicle. I took to mechanic today and told about the issue. The mechanic told need to replace spark plug and wires boc'z it's not been change since the vehicle is bought in year 2000. To change above mechanic quoted $160.00.
I am sure somebody might already had above situation, please let me know is there any way to fix it with your help?
Thanks in advance,
MaC
Replacing the spark plugs and wires may be a good idea based on your vehicle's age and mileage, but you've presented no evidence that's the cause of your check engine lamp. When the mechanic looked at the car, what diagnostic trouble codes were stored in the engine and transmission computers?

it turned out to be an R/R sensor.
Symptoms included after the check engine light came on...a jerk and the car acting as if it couldn't get out of 3rd gear.
I don't know what a R/R sensor is or does, but after $300 the car runs fine.
Well, I've never heard of an R/R sensor, either. Based on the symptoms, I suspect what they've replaced is either the input or output speed sensor on the transmission. These provide the transmission computer (TCM) with the important information it needs to shift properly. When the TCM figures out that it's not seeing the proper information, it puts the transmission in third gear and leaves it there.
As far as the plugs and wires, if you've got a 4 cylinder, that sounds about right for quality parts.
If you've got a V6, it's way too low. On the V6, you should put in 6 platinum plugs, and a not-cheap high quality wire set. The intake plenum needs to be removed to do this job, so it'll have a high labor cost as well.
R/R sensor - means they removed and replaced a sensor, should have a part number in the parts column.
--

"Cliff" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message