2001 XG300 - Rotors

I've had the rotors resurfaced twice in 30,000 miles since I felt a pulsation when applying the brakes. It did correct the problem both times. It was not
covered under the warranty. Has anyone had this problem? Is this a problem with the XG300?
--
johnam

It was not covered under the warranty. Has anyone had this problem? Is this a problem with the XG300?

Hi Johnam - I suspect it's not a problem with the XG300 itself as much as it is a problem with the rotor/pad combination Hyundai selected for the car. This is not so uncommon a problem with long life pads on any car. You might want to try switching to a "lesser" grade of pad next time. IMHO, it's better to treat the pad as the greater sacrificial element of the brake system, than the rotor. I change out both when I do a brake job so it's not a matter of getting twice the life out of my rotors compared to my pads, but softer (easier wearing) pads will greatly reduce rotor warping, thus those nasty pulsing sensations.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
johnam wrote:

when applying the brakes. It did correct the problem both times. It was not covered under the warranty. Has anyone had this problem? Is this a problem with the XG300? Did whomever surfaced your rotors give you a break-in procedure? If they didn't, then it is very easy to "imprint" the fresh surface all over again. Same when you replace the pads.
I used to belive in the warped rotor theory, but I've read several articles in the last couple of years that suggest a different theory and I think it makes a lot more sense. The theory essentially is that the rotors seldom really warp (and you can measure this with a dial indicator to be sure). The problem is differential friction around the circumference of the rotor caused by several things such as uneven buildup of pad residue on the rotor, rust spots from parking after a rain storm, or coming to a stop with hot pads and rotors and then holding hard on the brakes.
Matt
Hi Group, I too have a 2001 XG & have had a similar problem. The dealer turned the rotors at my cost to fix the pedal pulsing. I was there in the shop when this work was done & the problem was caused by corrosion build up between the metal pad backer & the seats on the callipers. There was a lot of rust & debris under the stainless steel clips which meant that the pads did not move freely, thus dragged on the rotors & I assume heated them up. This was not covered by warranty . Now, every Spring I disassemble the brakes & wire brush/clean thoroughly the pad cradles & steel clips, relube the sliders with 'antisieze' . No problems & my pads last longer . Two other points: Yes softer (cheaper) pads are a good idea if you're not a hard driver & if you can find them -couldn't locate any here in BC. The other minor modification I did was on my replacement pads the metal backer is not a precision part & I cleaned up the rough surface where they sit in the calliper cradle by taking a thou or 2 off with a fine grinding wheel. These pads now fit perfectly & when you spin the wheel by hand after servicing the brakes thusly, you can feel how much quicker the pads drift back off the rotor. Made a nice difference on my car. BCinBC