2003 Sonata Heater Core Replacement?

We have a 2003 Sonata that needs to have the heater core replaced. The temp. is getting hot out here in the desert (AZ) and we'd like to get this replaced so we have A/C, but our money is really tight, so
can't afford to have it done by either the dealer or a repair shop. So, I'm thinking about doing it myself, but cannot find any information about how to do it. Is there any online source/manual that will give me step-by-step directions on how to do this?
We have metric tools and fair mechanical ability, but at my age (64) and size, my physical dexterity is somewhat limited.
Thanks for any suggestions any of you can provide. Lee
Unfortunately, you'll need to remove the dash. You can find repair manuals at www.hmaservice.com. If you don't already have a free account there, you'll need to register.
I'm a little confused about why you need to replace the heater core to have a/c. The a/c should work regardless of whether you have a functioning heater core.
Thanks for your response! I gave your message to my son, who in turn discussed a solution with his service provider. They agreed the problem was the leaking heater core and it had nothing to do with the coolant smell he got anytime he tried to run the A/C. So, yeaterday they changed the hoses going to the heater core to bypass it, and that solved his problem. So now he's happy since it's starting to warm-up out here in the western desert. Lee

Thanks for your response! I gave your message to my son, who in turn discussed a solution with his service provider. They agreed the problem was the leaking heater core and it had nothing to do with the coolant smell he got anytime he tried to run the A/C. So, yeaterday they changed the hoses going to the heater core to bypass it, and that solved his problem. So now he's happy since it's starting to warm-up out here in the western desert. Lee
I sure hope he plans on finding a new mechanic and getting that heater fixed before he needs it this fall. Talk about a cobbed up fix...
I'd avoid that mechanic like the plague in the future.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net