2006 Sonata GLS v6 Initial Quality Feedback

Page 1 of 3
I am thinking about buying the Sonata GLS V6, which is being assembled in the new plant in AL. (the V4 is still being made in Korea)
I know the Sonata's in the past several years have been well made, but
I am concerned about the change in their manufacturing plant.
If you are a 06 Hyundai Sonata owner, what do you think of its initial quality? Thanks.
5 Months...Love it.
Rob
--
Rob
"bubba" < snipped-for-privacy@mail.com> wrote in message
bubba wrote:

V4? I have an I4 that was made in Korea so I can't comment on the Alabama plant's quality.
Matt

Bubba,
I'll chime in although I only have 800 miles on my GLS V6. Build quality on mine was about 99%.
I had a small door gasket leak on the driver's side near the outside mirror. It made a slight whistling sound at 50+ mph. I think it was noticeable because the car is so quiet to begin with. I pinched the gasket a little and it's totally quiet now. This is an uncommon problem.
A more common problem is a rear suspension thunking noise when driving slowly over sharp bumps. Again, the car is so quiet that it makes noises easier to notice. I suspect someone will find an exact cause and cure real soon, but I can live with it regardless.
I certainly would not let those problems discourage me from buying the same car. I do envy the leather seats. Wish I had got the standard LX now, but I'm still very satisfied.
--
Bob

bubba wrote:

FYI, the GLS 4-cyl has been coming out of Alabama since some time in November. I got one right after Thanksgiving and am well pleased with the quality.
Barry

Not too bad.... A few problems - some of which you could call the dealers fault, but Hyundai's been no help resolving the issues. Make sure that there's more than one dealer near you before you consider buying one.
Headlights blind oncoming drivers resulting in them returning the favor. It's been to the dealer's three times. They adjust hem so they light the potholes 10 feet in front of your vehicle, or as tree lighters. I adjusted them down after the last trip, so I only get flashed occasionally.
Vehicle shakes like it has an out of balance tire. This was present on the initial test drive. Salesman said it was "flat spots on the tires from sitting on the lot". Took it to the dealer, and they balanced the tires. Didn't fix it. Next trip back they stole the tires from another car on the lot. Now it shook, and pulled to the left. Next trip back, they rotated the tires on the car to eliminate the pulling. It doesn't pull, but it still shakes a little. The first tire rotation ought to be interesting. A call to Hyundai "customer service" resulted in them telling me to go find a tire dealer - really!
Accessory power receptacle - AKA: Cigarette lighter outlet - has no power. Took it to the dealer over a month ago. They STILL don't have the part (the socket). Apparently there's still issues getting parts for the '06, as Hyundai's "customer service" didn't / couldn't help with that either.
The vehicle apparently has an automatic lock feature - start driving it, and the locks lock - like almost every other vehicle with power locks. But, due to a poor design, the owner can't turn it on and off like you could in my 2000 Caravan, my 2003 Malibu, and my 2004 Town and Country. You have the privilege of paying Mr. Dealer $85 to enable it. I knew it had it because I drove a rental with it. Too bad I didn't know I was going to have to pay to have it enabled before I filled out the paperwork.
Also, as many others have noted, City / Highway mileage comes NOWHERE close to the numbers on the window stickers.
There is no "District Manager" or anything similar. I got the "each dealer is independently owned........" broken record. I was told that if I "don't like" the service department where I bought it, I should try another dealer. I bought it in Wilmington NC, and the closest other dealers are between 60 and 80 miles. This is to get problems fixed that were there from mile 0
I had no problem with Mr Dealer adjusting the automatic locking mechanism for free. No fee ever mentioned. Love the car, certianly not perfect, but love the car.............Doc
funny you should ask....J D Power just today asked me to fill out their initial quality questionaire. ...lots of questions about defects in various catergories....I didn't check one box. I have 8000 miles on the LX, bought for Christmas. No defects at all, from cigarette lighter to headlights-I think Bob's car is the anormally :>) ps excuse the top post if you will.

Darby OGill wrote:

I just got the Power survey as well, but I have only 3,500 or so on my GL. I penned in 4 or 5 boxes, mainly related to the sensitive throttle (I have stick shift) and the poor HVAC, poor mileage and noise from under the rear (suspension and gas tank sloshing). Nothing major and nothing that would have stopped me from buying the car in all likelihood, all the throttle is coming really close to that. I gave the can an overall quality rating of 8.
Matt

I don't really agree that my car is an anomaly. I'm not having problems that are all that serious. Tire (or whatever is is) problems and a bad power outlet. From what I understand, my headlight problems are just a poor design. The real issue is a dealer service department that is incapable of fixing the problems that the car does have, and being left out to dry by Hyundai. Better to find out how problems will be addressed before purchasing the car than after. Just as important is the support you receive from the manufacturer if there is problems, as the initial quality of the vehicle.

Bob, I searched the Web for weeks and months before buying my Sonata, and yours is the first complaint about the lights, lighter, flat spots, and locks that I have seen. And the 2nd, and the 3rd, and the 4th...
These are not common problems, in spite of your trying to flood the Internet and make them appear so.
We know that 10% of people are never satisfied with anything. It seems we have met a "10 percenter".
Another 20% of people do not know how to ask for a problem to be fixed without being hostile and confrontational. Try being reasonable with your dealer. Try asking instead of demanding. Believe it or not, it's in your dealer's best interest to fix your problems.
BTW, my gas mileage (actual, not trip computer) was 25.x and 26.1 with only 800 miles on it.
--
Bob

Well, it's not as simple as I'm not satisfied with it. Overall, the car is not that bad. The car vibrates badly enough that the passenger seat - if empty - rocks front to back. The dealer agrees there's a problem, but putting tires on the car doesn't fix it. As for the headlights, this http://tinyurl.com/re4ed is how the dealer adjusted them on the first attempt. I'm supposed to be "satisfied" that I've waited a month and a half for them to find a replacement power outlet? If they would / could fix the problems I mentioned (keep mentioning, as you've noticed), I honestly will be happy with it.

Mine does about 25 on a nice flat highway for 40 miles each direction at 60 MPH with the cruise control on, and the air conditioner off. Sticker says it should get about 30. Those driving conditions leave little in the way of variables that the driver could affect.

Thanks...you all have just about convinced me that I should NOT by buying a Sonata...at least this year. Maybe next year if some of these 'problems' get worked out.
Thanks again. Now back to shopping....

Your loss Dave!
Do your self a favor. Go drive the car, then go drive the other similarly equipped Mom Cars. Not 1 of them are totally free from such problems. And for the price, the Sonata can't be touched.
Am I happy about the niggling little flaws? Of course not! However, even if I traded it for another car, there would most likely be just as many little flaws to live with.
Note: I only experienced 1 of the flaws from the laundry list. I think some may have possibly been fixed in production, because mine has an assembly date of 2006-01-29.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Yes, you should always drive before buying. I set out to buy a Toyota Corolla, but after driving 3 different samples, I just couldn't tolerate the relative position of the pedals, seat and steering wheel. The wheel was too close to the plane of the pedals. If I set the seat where my legs were comfortable, my arms were stretched like a banjo string. Conversely, with the seat in a comfortable position for my arms, my knees were crunched against the bolster. Toyota really got the wheel too close to the dash on the current Corolla and a scan of the newsgroup shows that I'm far from alone in this assessment. So, I took the $16,000 that a Corolla would have cost and bought a Sonata instead. I'm fairly happy with the decision overall, but some of the little annoyances really are pretty annoying. I guess I was too used to the comfort of my Grand Voyager minivan which had fewer of these issues. Then again, a new minivan would have cost $10,000 more so you don't get something for nothing.

For another car in the same price range, I agree.

Which have you and have you not experienced? I'm curious as to which ones may have been corrected.
Matt

Matt,
The only problem I have experienced is the thunking sound from the trunk area. The sound reminds me of a loose exhaust pipe rebounding against the undercarriage. The noise does not happen when the rear wheels suddenly go up, but when they go back down. (Should that tell us something about the cause?)
I have never heard the fuel sloshing, but I suspect it is there. Why do I suspect that? I was vigorously waxing the trunk lid last weekend, and the car was bouncing up and down. I could easily hear the fuel sloshing. :) Maybe it's my hearing. Its generally good, but admittedly not perfect.
There is no perceptible "flat spot" or hesitation in the throttle response at any speed.
Gas mileage is great at 26.1, and trip computer MPG accuracy is spot on.
There is no tire or driveline noise or vibration at any speed. It's absolutely jet-smooth from 0-80mph.
What did I miss?
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

I don't have the suspension sound all that often, but have heard it on occasion.

Well, hearing tends to go bad in certain frequency ranges so maybe yours is just weaker in the range that the tank sloshing sound makes. My wife doesn't hear the noise much either, but I hear it very distinctly.

I haven't noticed that either. Mine is just ultrasensitive compared to my other vehicles and the throttle effort is too low. Going across bumps in the road will jiggle my foot enough to get a PIO going at times. PIO = pilot induced oscillation for those not familiar with aviation terminology.

With the V-6, I wouldn't feel too bad about that as that is in the upper half of the EPA 20-30 range. However, I only get slightly better with the 4-banger and am in the lower half of the 24-34 range for it, actually in the lower third.

Pretty much the same for me as well. The only noise is wind noise and a whistle from the hood deflector that I installed to protect the sharp nose of the hood from stone damage in our winters.

The main things for me are the poor HVAC heat distribution to the foot well area and poor defogging with a car load of people. The seat belts are also too close to the side of the car making it hard for me to get my fat fingers in between to grab the belt. And the passenger side buckle will bang against the side of the car if I go across rolling bumps that rock the car side to side. The lack of good storage cubbies that seem to be just a little too small for everything I want to store. The dash cubby is too narrow for a standard-size 4x6 spiral notebook that I use to log my gas purchases and maintenance and the console bin is also too small for this notebook and also too small for the standard size square tissue boxes that I carry in my vehicles. And the cup holder rubber insert isn't robust enough to hold a small drink such as a water bottle.
My single biggest complaint though is the electronic throttle. It makes driving the stick shift almost more work than fun and I'm a person who really likes to drive stick shift and have avoided automatics for 30 years. This is the only vehicle I've owned where i regretted getting a standard shift tranny. And I've driven everything from VW Beetles (the original Beetle with almost no power) up to tractor trailers. This throttle is too light, too touchy, and has a slight lag that makes starting out and shifting smoothly a real high concentration activity.
Matt
I am very very happy with mine. I put their quality in the same category as Honda and Toyota.

Metsfan1 wrote:

I'd say the initial quality is less than my 84 Accord was, but that is my only Japanese car so I don't have much data for comparison. However, the Honda began to systematically self destruct starting at about 60,000 miles and 4 years of age. The last straw was when the cam and rocker arms self-destructed at 70,000 or so miles. I'm hoping the Sonata is a MUCH better quality car than the Honda was over the long haul. To me "initial" quality doesn't mean much, I want quality that lasts 200,000 miles as with my last minivan (a Plymouth Grand Voyager).
Matt

I have an LX, but only have 600 miles on it. The initial quality has been very good with the my only complaint being noise coming from the rear suspension. The car has been amazingly quiet. I've heard various complaints about the gas mileage and I think that after the car is broken in I should be able to get pretty close to the 30 mpg highway on the sticker. Had the car out for the first time yesterday on the road (some interstate, some heavy traffic (Chicago), and some US highway with stops and slowdowns for towns, and got just under 28MPG doing 60-70 on the open portions.