2006 Sonata V6 Problem

There is a black plastic cover under the engine between the two front wheels. That part came off from its place, got dragged on the road, torn, and became pieces. There is still a small piece of that plastic that continues to drag / hit the road whever I reach 60 mph.

I called the local Hyundai. The guy in the service department siad warranty wouldn't cover that because either the something hit the plastic part or the people that changed the oil last time didn't assemble it properly.

He said labor is $90 and then transferred me to the parts department. Parts department never picked up the phone and I am trying to find out the cost of the part.

These are my questions:

1) How can I find out the part number and price without having to call the Hyundai parts department? 2) Is this something I can replace? I can handle moderately complex tasks, but have never been under any automobile before.

Thanks for your time and help.

Reply to
skarkada

Well if you can handle moderately complex tasks, then take a look under your car and you will see how that piece goes in. It's pretty simple and you should have no trouble removing the remainder of it and installing a new one. Do some internet searches on it for prices if you don't want to deal with the dealer, or give the dealer another shot - call again.

You can set up a free account on hmaservice.com and on the site you will find complete service manuals with part numbers for the various models. Be sure to use IE and not another browser as the site does not work with other browsers. Check the site requirements section for the viewer you'll have to download as well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Personally, I wonder if these shields are even necessary. They may add some small aerodynamic benefit, but they sure make oil changes on the I-4 a pain (I understand the V-6 filter is on top of the engine so shouldn't be a factor there). If mine got trashed, I'd be inclined to just remove the remains and fuggetaboutit.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:vjWOh.3499$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

I have to agree with you there Matt. There must be some small benefit to the shield, but it isn't noticeable in fuel mileage, or any other way I can tell. I've just removed it permanently on my lasy few Hyundai's. No need on the V6 Sonata, or my Entourage, as they both have top-mounted oil filters, but if they get tagged and cracked they are gone.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I agree with others that leaving it off might be just fine. If you do buy a new one, let the next oil change people put it on for you.

Reply to
Darby OGill

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I will try to take off the remaining piece and leave the car alone.

Reply to
skarkada