Busted Sideview Mirror, 2000 Sonata

I broke my electric sideview mirror. Right side. Glass shattered. The car's a 2000 Sonata.

The motors work fine. Wiring's working, too.

The assembly consists of a "movement sandwich." Plate "A" is the base plate, on which the motors are mounted. A nylon semi-ball fits between "Plate A" and "Plate B." Plate A contains the two pushrods that move the mirror in both planes. My Plate A seems to be fine, including the pushrods. Plate B appears to have been damaged. The entire housing still looks perfect. It's the same color as the car.

I have bought a replacement mirror assembly, complete. I believe that it's an authentic Hyundai part. I'm stuck: I want to put as many of the new parts that I need into the existing housing.

**** I can't figure out how to get into my new mirror assembly since the glued-on glass appears to obscure the mounting screws that I need to get at.

If I push the new mirror glass as far as it can go in a couple of positions, I belive that I see what look like molded-on fastener clips. But I don't know how to get at them, nor what kind of tool I need in order to pop them apart _safely._ At this point, it's probable that the wiring to the motors won't need work so long as I can use the existing motors. But if I use the motors, "Plate A," etc, from the new assembly, I'd prefer to be able to get everything working without having to take the door apart in order to exchange the electrical connectors. The mirror housing is attached by screws from inside the door!

Will I find what I need if I struggle enough with the routines on Hyundai's web site?

Suggestions, please, gentlemen!

TIA: Richard Hi, Y'all

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Try Youtube to see if someone has posted a video there.

Reply to
Irwell

I did a little search, here is one link for the Sonata.

Irwell

The mirror glass and the plastic piece that holds it should snap off the assembly. You should not need to remove any screws. Simply snap the new mirror glass in place.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Good to see you again, HT. The official instructions were rather vague.

Thanks.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Good to "see" you too, Richard. But alas, my instructions weren't very precise, either. Someone more proficient at technical writing will probably be able to do better.

Reply to
hyundaitech