Changing ATF on 2001 Sonata

It seems I have a ATF filter top side easy to reach and a drain plug at the bottom of trans case , It requires what they call sp3 fluid. So why does Goodyear want 89.95 labor and 8.00 shop towel fee for no more then changing your motor oil? Whats the deal. Taters

Reply to
taters2

I believe it may be due to the amount of SPIII ATF required, and its cost. It may require 8 or so quarts, and this ATF is not an inexpensive as motor oil. I would be very careful to make sure, however, that they do indeed use the correct ATF. If they don't, it can cause tranmission failure.

Reply to
Don Allen

For $89.95 labor, I'd suspect you're getting a transmissin flush instead of a drain and fill. If not, you should take your business elsewhere. (Check around before you do. For all I know, $180 is the going rate for an hour's labor in your area.)

As for the $8 in shop supplies, it's unfortunately a standard in the business. Rather than increasing labor rates or parts prices, shops began including shop supplies. It is what it is, and it won't change without legal intervention. Just be sure to compare apples to apples-- know what the shop supplies charge is up front prior to the work. Any reputable place should be willing to give you this information.

If your fluid smells and looks good, you shouldn't need any more than a drain and refill and replacement of the filter.

Reply to
hyundaitech

DO NOT LET GOODYEAR flush & install some generic crap trans fluid Either change it your self or have the dealer do it with the proper fluid Todays trans need specal fluid not a dextron fits all with additive. IN lew of flushing -- drain the fluid & refill, run it for a week, drain & refill again & drive it for another week & drain it one last time. Just as good as having it flushed

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

I have had both rear wheel bearings replaced at 70000 plus miles The $8.00 shop towel was on my ticket and I asked why? The counter man said for the mech to clean his hands after packing the bearing with Grease?!!! The mech is my nephew and I all ways watch him, I had to explain that this is a bearing assembly and pre packed! But, Makes no differance. For $100.00 to replace one bearing he took out 4 bolts and replaced 4 bolts after removing the wheel! How can they afford to work so cheap!

Reply to
taters2