Elantra 99 can't switch gear out of park

I can't switch gear out of park intermittantly. Sometimes it takes several minutes and multiple attempts to get into drive. I push break pedal but gear handle remains locked.
What should I check first? The car is still under 100,000 powertrain warranty. Is this problem covered?
Thank you in advance, Lenja
This problem won't be covered. There are a number of components that could be causing your issue, but none of them are part of the powertrain.
First, when the problem happens, check your brake lights. If they're not on, you probably need a new brake pedal switch.

Should be able to hear or feel the solenoid in the shifter assembly click when you hit the brakes as well?