Engine clean out

Valoline offers an engine flush and advises it around 40k's. Is this necessary?

<Dan> wrote in message

Not IMO. I've driven cars for well over 150,000 to 200,000 miles with change intervals at about 7500 miles (I do some highway driving) and never had a ring, bearing, or valve problem or visible sludge.
There may be some particular engines or very harsh driving conditions that may justify a flush, but today's oils are really pretty good. I don't believe in additives for any automobile liquids either. The main purpose of that stuff is to extract money from your wallet.
<Dan> wrote in message

It's necessary to maintain Valvoline's profits. Won't do squat for your car.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net