ESC

I just checked everything I got with my '08 Elantra GLS and I don't think it has ESC. I have the popular equip. package.

Hmm. After doing some investigation, it would seem that ESC is only available on the Elantra SE, where it is standard equipment. Not even available on the GLS.
And by the same token, the Honda Civic has ESC (called VSA) on their Si trim line, where it is standard equipment. It is not available on their standard sedan.
That sounds like pretty much apples to apples in terms of availability. I suppose the only other mitigating factor is that the uplevel Elantra SE is still only a $16,000+ car. The Civic Si is a $21,000+ car.