Extended Warranty

I bought my 2012 Elantra in October. I didn't want the extended warranty at the time but I did ask about it. My salesman wasn't really informed about it and told me they had all kinds of warranties but he
wasn't sure about them. He offered to bring someone over to talk to me about them. I told him to forget it, I wasn't interested anyway.
I bought the extended warranty for my 2004 Sonata. It was the best warranty they had at the time. It was about $800. The 2004 has almost 90,000 miles on it. My warranty has covered a few repairs. A bad pulley running the belt, a leaking front end part (grease boot cracked) and a bad coil. I probably broke even on the repairs, maybe came out ahead if the dealer would have done the work. : )
Anyway, I get a letter from my salesman to call him and ask about an extended warranty. I call and they say he no longer works there but put me through to someone who knows about the warranties. The guy proceeds to tell me they offer a 10 year, 100,000 mile "wraparound" warranty, a "key protection" warranty and a "Tire Protection" warranty.
He's going to look my car up and see what the price would be for each one. I doubt I'll get any but I would like to see what the price would be for each.
Has anyone bought any of these warranties? I did tell him I want some type of spare tire, either a donut or a rim, even a steel one I can mount a tire on. I can't see driving a car with no way to fix a flat tire, even though I haven't needed one in a long time. I am of the belief that a spare tire is a necessity, not a luxury.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:14:03 -0500, Brian Matthews

Warranty companies are in business to make profit. I've heard many bad stories about difficulty getting coverage when things happen. Only once did I hear of an owner coming out ahead on a Volvo .
Put that money into a bank account and add to it every time you are asked about buying one for anything you buy. In a few years, you'll have a hefty emergency fund that will cover most any repair or replacement.
On 1/25/2012 9:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

on extended warranties on the 2 vehicles for which I had repair work done under the warranties. We purchased a used 2002 Elentra GT and before the 100k mile mark I ended up saving about $800 to $900 over the price of the warranty in repairs (mainly because my son was hard on the car and it was parked outside in the TX sun which caused some electronic parts to fail early). The other was a Honda and some fluke problems ended up making the warranty worth it. Given Hyundai's 10 yr/100k mi power train warranty (which should cover the transmission and engine, right?) I wonder why you would want an extended warranty.... assuming that the warranty on electronics/other stuff is at least long enough to address stuff like the "Genesis electrical nightmare"s some folks have posted on this group.
--- Posted via

If an extended warranty was only about $800 like it was on my 2004 Sonata, I would probably buy it. But get this, I got an email with the prices for extended warranties that they offer now, which I will not be buying;
"The price of a 120,000 mile or 10 year extended bumper to bumper warranty is $1895 and a 5 year unlimited mileage Multishield Protection Package which includes Ding and Dent, Wheel and Tire and Key Care Protection is $695."
For that price, they should cover everything from windshield wipers to brake pads. There's NO WAY I would spend this type of money for something that <may> go wrong.
On 1/27/12 11:12 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

the warranty runs out, almost like free money, never miss the $20 a month.
My $.02 worth:
I've purchased the factory (Chrysler) extended warranties for many new vehicles and always made out well. In one of my wife's cars (a 99 Durango w/everything) they had to replace the entire HVAC system inside and under the hood. Cost me nothing.
When I purchased my '01 PT Cruiser I thought I would save some bucks so I purchased an after-market warranty (Warranty Gold). 1 Year aftwards they filed for bankrupcy and poof!!!
I now drive a couple of Hyndai Santa Fe's with the factory warranty and all is well. So, I'd recommend the factory extended warranties if you're nervious about costs. But in my experience the cars are much, much more reliable now than in the past.