Extended Warranty

I have just purchased a demo 2007 Legacy 2.5i wagon with the touring package and 18,000 km. I have not been able to find out much about the long term reliability of Subarus. Given the kms I would put on the car, the best option for me would be a 6 year, 140,000 Km warranty for about $1,600 with a $100 deductable. Roughly speaking, that is paying about $550 for each of the three years the extended warranty would be in place. In reviewing the maintenance records of previous cars (two camry wagons and a Mecury Villager, all of which had more than 10 years of service) I can only find two items that would have qualified as a warranty repair under an extended warranty, so from that experience, the extended warranty would not be worth it. The only fly in the ointment is the expected reliability of Subarus. I would expect to keep the car 8-10 years, accumulating 25,000 km annually. I live in Eastern Ontario and am therefore exposed to winter driving and salt ladened roads. How can I expect my Subaru to stand up and what has been the membership experience with long term reliability? Thanks

Doug

Reply to
DGD

Much written about extended warranties here in the past. Search up past posts via groups.google.com including where to buy and where not to buy. Generally your local dealer is going to bend you over for the warranty and SUbaru of America will do it even worse. There are dealers who specialize in selling the Subaru warranty with low margins-_I'd suggest shopping at such a dealer if you choose to buy.

There's no need for you to worry about this decision for nearly 3 more years though... By then you'll have a better feel for how your particular vehicle will be.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
Bill Bradley

message

What I would really like to know is if you have found it necessary to even use the extended warranty, and if so, was it cost effective to purchase it in the first place. Thanks

Reply to
DGD

It didnt' pay off for me. Had my 100k 0 deductible warranty been just 10k miles longer, however, I'd have had a new headgasket. Unfortunately damned thing waited to break until after the warranty expired.

I gambled, it didn't quite pay off.

Based on my own experienc, I wouldn't make the extended warranty that high a priority on your Subie. And because you can buy one any time up to the expiration of your bumper to bumper warranty, I certainly wouldn't sweat it too much now.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Downunder we have a useful independent guide to vehicle model safety, recalls and faults.

The Dog and Lemon Guide.

Based on data from owners, if it's right, expect your Subie maintenance budget to start to rise at around 150k km.

Reply to
ziggy99