Extended warranty?

I just bought an 05 Rav. An extended warranty is $1400. Yeh, I know they are big money makers for the dealer and I have never bought one before; but $1400 doesn't seem so bad. One major repair in year 5 will justify it. Whatcha think? Are these things negotiable? Once when I turned an extended warranty down the guy gradually came down to half. This guy didn't do anything.

Reply to
Ted

In Toyotas, the extended warranties are worth about ONE QUARTER, at most, of the original asking price for the warranty. If I had bought one on my 99 Camry, it would have been a TOTAL waste of money.

Reply to
Sharx35

check out

there is some dealer on there that sells extended warranties (genuine Toyota ones) for $350

Reply to
Dan J.S.

oops

Dan J.S.

Thanks much. I got a few names off it that I will try tomorrow. $800 for

100k miles sounds like a winner.
Reply to
Ted

Check the deductible.

Reply to
Art

Well you aren't actually getting 5 years of warranty --- the factory is 3 years so you're getting only 2 years.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Don't waste your money. The last 2 toys ive had both lasted well over

100000, and never needed any repair that came close to that figure

-- 'Kiss me goodnight and say my prayers Leave the light on at the top of the stairs Tell me the names of the stars up in the sky A tree taps on the window pane That feeling smothers me again Daddy is it true that we all have to die? At the top of the stairs Is darkness

I closed my eyes and when I looked Your name was in the memorial book And what had become of all the things we planned I accepted the commiserations Of all your friends and your relations But there's something I still don't understand You were so tall How could you fall?

Some photographs of a summer's day A little boys lifetime away Is all I've left of everything we've done Like a pale moon in a sunny sky Death gazes down as I pass by To remind me that I'm but my fathers son

I offer up to you This tribute I offer up to you This tank park salute'

  • Billy Bragg *

Reply to
Don Moore

Based on this discussion, I did some reading and called Toyota.

1) The warranty is the same price anytime before the new car warranty expires. So there is no reason to buy it now, when I can buy it 35,000 miles from now; might as well hold onto my money. That is correct, isn't it? 2) The suggested retail on Toyota's website for the 6/75 is $875 and my dealer wants $1,400! Argh. I haven't managed to reach any of the cheaper people but according to the other threads, they are like $400. I am reading this right, aren't I?

Yeh I know Toyotas are great and I will never need $400 worth of repairs, but I just had $1,000 on my 5 year old Dodge, and $400 sounds like cheap insurance.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ted

DODGES? What the FUCK to do you expect? Don't discuss Crap products in the same breath as Toyota.

Reply to
Sharx35

I am a Toyota guy, but I love Dodge Challengers and Chargers (original ones) - plus, as soon as the new Challenger comes out, I am buying it. Things have changed quite a bit at Chryco. I am really beginning to think Toyota is slipping. My 2005 Sienna has been back to the dealer 4 times now for fairly major things - my neighbors Dodge Caravan (who bought it same week as I got the Sienna) put twice as many miles on it as I did and has not taken it back once.

I think all major manufacturers are finally getting it.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

What major things has your Sienna had? I assume the electronic throttle lag is one of them?

Your friend has been lucky with his Caravan. Most people I know that have owned newer Crapslers (Caravan, Sebring, Neon, and even a Magnum) have had lots of problems with them from the moment they bought them new.

I don't fully agree. Perhaps the differences in reliability over the first

3 or so years are minimal. But after 5 or more years, that is where Toyota and Honda continue to come out near the top.
Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The electronics - the entire dashboard went out twice. The AC went out once, and the moon roof rattles like crazy (still does)... so they are looking at that again. On the plus size, the 2003 4runner has been trouble free - i still need to take it in for the sulfur TSB that came out last year... The throttle thing has been pretty good. I have the AWD model, and the dealer told me they are programmed a little different so the lag is not as bad as my ES330 was (I traded in the es330 for the sienna when we had our second kid - the Lexus es330 was just the worst car I have ever owned because of the lag issues - wife almost got into an accident and that was the end of that one)

i owned a first year durango before trading it in on a 2003 4runner (it was a 1998 model) - no problems with it, but around 55k i did notice the tranny to slip - so yes, Dodge quality is not as good, but I believe things are getting better. The new 300c has a mercedes tranny - and the Hemis are strong reliable engines.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Well, lessee....I bought a 74 Dodge Challenger Rallye in Feb. 74. It barely lasted until 1985...continual problems with the carburetor. Look was ahead of its time, though.

318 V8 kicked butt, as did the Torqueflite transmission which one could shift manually.
Reply to
Sharx35

74 was suffering from the new emissions crap anyway - yeah those were bad. Hey I am just saying that Chrysler is trying hard to turn itself around. So I take it the Challenger is gone? Another neighbor has a purple 1970 model - stock but without a hemi... its a beauty... We do the weekend shows in Crystal Lake, Il...
Reply to
Dan J.S.

I don't know how durable Mercedes trannies are, especially compared to the rest of the car. And since the Hemi has only been around for a few years (I think), it's long term durability is uncertain.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Yeh, the Challenger is gone..no place to store it back then. Ah, the single days....

Reply to
Sharx35

If you buy the warranty and decide to sell the car privately while it is still in force you will probably get your money out of it.

Reply to
Art

I had a 300M 1999 and a 2001 Avalon. The 300M was much better put together though there were major problems with the power windows. The Avalon was a rattle box with a worthless autoclimate control. We hated driving it and in

5 years only put 22000 miles on it. Overall the 300M was the much better car.

We traded the Avalon for a Honda minivan and we are giving the 300M to my in-laws. I'm sure I could have sold the Avalon privately pretty easily but I did not want to personally stick anyone in that car.

Reply to
Art

The Hemi is exceeding everyone's expectations. It is relatively simple and does everything right with acceptable gas mileage and good emissions.

Reply to
Art