Gas mileage on 14 Elantra GT

Just went on my first trip with my 14 GT, and I was quite happy with the average fuel mileage of 36.3. NY to VA, about 350 miles. Trip was mostly highway, but I did sit in a lot of traffic, and I also did use
the a/c some (101 in DC as I drove through). Total trip was about 1K miles, local driving was mostly rural, not too many lights I guess. My 07 Elantra GT never came close to the stated mileage and I was never happy with the gas mileage even though I liked the car a lot. A full highway trip would barely break 30MPG if I was lucky. So I am happy!

That's about what I get.
On 6/17/2015 8:54 AM, jtees4 wrote:

Nice! Is that with an automatic transmission? I have an 03 Elantra with a standard 5-speed and get >30mpg during exclusive freeway driving, but about 27mpg with a typical city/highway mix. I wonder if it's the 6-speed transmission that makes for the better mgp, and if the standard does a little better than the automatic?

Automatic, I was happily surprised. My 14 GT has the 2.0L engine too which I wanted. They had gone to or were going back to the 1.8 or something or other and I didn't want that. I'm really surprised that's all you get with the 03 especially with a manual...my 03 would get probably 35 or more, the 07 used to get apprx. 37/38 on a highway trip....both automatics. BUT the 03 was a more solid feeling car than the 07 even though they were virtually the same.