Hyundai Sonata 2004 timing belt; 96k miles; V4: 2.4L

Dear readers,

I have a Hyundai sonata 2004 with 96k miles on it, its a V4 and I am in a dilemma to find out if I need a new timing belt. It will cost me $500. Timing belt + water pump (including labour). Now I bought this car at 60K and have been using it for the last 36k miles. I was never really concerned about the Timing belt untill one of my friends got it done on his Acura after 106K miles. The mechanic told my buddy, after replacing his timing....that it was still in good condition and could have gone for another 10-20K miles.

Is there some means of finding out if I really need this thing done?..I dont see any problems with my driving. Now another thing is I dont even know if the person who sold me got it done at 60K....I doubt.....which means my car has been running on the original timing belt till 96K....I am guessing I can go another 10-20K miles on the original one.....

Please advice.

Thankyou and appreciate it.

Reply to
Al

Two problems. You can't see the belt unless you take things apart. The other is you can't truly predict just when it will break. If it does break, the engine will be ruined as it is an interference engine.

We can give you all sorts of anecdotal stories, but if it breaks tomorrow morning, you're screwed. Anything anyone tells you is just a guess. May last another 20,000 miles, may break next time you turn the key. How much tolerance do you have to pain? If you don't care if the engine is destroyed, you can stretch it out but then it will cost you far more than $500.

Your buddy's experience with an Acura does not change the fact that some belts break before the 100,000 mile mark.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had a FIAT with push rods for lifting the valve cams, one broke on me, hell of a clatter but no major damage to the engine, Why does this timing belt on the Hyaundais have to internal anyway?

Reply to
Irwell

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:35:22 -0700 (PDT), Al cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

First - you don't have a V4. You either have a V6 or a straight 4. If you have the 4, you are really taking your chances in not changing the belt. If you have the 2.7L V6, they are known to go well beyond the 60K spec'd by Hyundai.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:49:45 -0700, Irwell cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

How about trying that again? Your question makes no sense. As for your Fiat - your pushrod engine is an entirely different engine design.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

How about the 3.5 litre V6 in the 2002 XG350? Is all the stuff that turns with a belt in it pretty much worn out at 60,000 miles. The alternator went out on it at 34,000 and was an engine removal $735.00 job but under warranty. I just want to keep it long enough for the 10/100,000 warranty. It's a 2002. Have 37,990 miles on it now. Is this one an interference engine too Mike? The miles that I drive I believe will be less than 100K when the time expires. Don't want it after the warranty expires. It is going down hill fast now. Darned good car until I had it 5 years then it went south in a hurry. 3 engine pulls, one for alternator, one for transmission repair. One for some sort of sensor. One complete dash removal for a problem with a cabin temperature sensor of some sort. Everytime the Check engine light comes on, I take it in. I'd be in worse shape than a AIG exec with no bonus if I had been out the repairs out of pocket. Next car is definitely not gonna be a Hyundai unless they come out with a simple car that a simple guy can repair. When engine has to be pulled for the simplest of repairs, they aren't for me any longer. When the kid told me about engine R&R to replace an alternator my mind quickly thought of all the ones I had taken off, swapped in the old core and put a rebuilt one on in 30 minutes. Times have sure changed. As the other fellow asked, wonder why they did use belts instead of timing change? I guess CHEAP was the name of the game.

Reply to
Elmo Finsterwald