Hyundaitech - 2007 Santa Fe questions

Thank you so much for helping us out on this forum!

I just purchased a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe and it's been great for the first month. Only two concerns so far:

The car tends to pull right on most road surfaces. I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the tire pressure. But that didn't fix the problem. From internet research, I found that it could be a slightly defective tire, something called radial pull. I'd appreciate any advice you'd have on what to do next.

Also, the speedometer seems about 5-7 miles off at least at high speeds. When the speedometer reads 80mph, I'm going closer to

70-75mph, based on other cars and my knowledge of the road (I've been traveling this same interstate for many years). Again, I'd be grateful for your advice on how to fix the problem.

Many thanks! Ken

Reply to
KJ

In regard to the pulling-- and I presume this isn't just an issue of the steering wheel not being centered-- it's likely that the rolling resistance of one of the front tires is greater than the other. Often, swapping the front tires should solve the issue.

In regard to the speedometer, the dealer can test the accuracy of the speedometer if they're willing to do a little rigging. Once upon a time, the speedometer was testable using the scan tool through the data link connector. But because the terminal used for speedometer tests was needed for CAN communication lines, it was moved to another location. That means testing the speedometer would require making an adaptor harness or jumpering the output from the scan tool to the vehicle speed sensor circuit. I haven't yet done anything like this, but looking at the circuit in a 2006 Sonata, it certainly appears possible. I'm presuming the Santa Fe circuit is similar.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank you very much for your help! This gives me great information when I bring the car in for service under warranty.

Reply to
KJ

Easier method is to use a GPS unit and take a ride. It will give a rather accurate reading of your speed. Have any friends that own one?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Regarding the pull: Mine did the same thing. Took it back to the dealer. They said the problem was imbalanced tire pressure, which they corrected. Obviously this didn't do any good. Took it back. They aligned the front end (on a new car???) or said they did. Naturally no improvement. I looked in the service manual at

where there is a section describing the steps to take to correct a left or right pull (why didn't the dealer look here in the first place?). The first step is to reverse the front tires. I took it to my local mechanic, since this was easier than going back to the dealer. He switched the tires and problem went away. The Hyundai people must be pulling their hair out trying to get these dealers squared away now that they are selling so many cars.

Reply to
Edgar MacArthur

I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble this caused, but am very grateful you shared your experience. I'll recommend this to the dealer when I take the car back. They've already tried option 1 (adjusting tire pressure).

Edgar MacArthur wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

Reply to
KJ

I have a friend that drives a taxi that can tell his speedometer is off by comparing to the GPS and the meter, which agree with each other but not the speedometer.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Just remember that you're offering information to possibly help them. My recommendation is to offer it up and drop the subject. A knowledgeable technician actually diagnosing the car trumps "some guy on the internet."

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

My Sonata is off consistently by 3 MPH as compared to my GPS. Oddly, my wife's Entourage varies from 2 MPH to as much as 6 MPH when over 60 MPH.

Both cars read higher than the actual speed. And both still have the original OEM rubber on them.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

could be a slightly defective tire, something called radial > pull. I'd appreciate any advice you'd have on what to do next. > > Also, the speedometer seems about 5-7 miles off at least at high > speeds. When the speedometer reads 80mph, I'm going closer to > 70-75mph, based on other cars and my knowledge of the road (I've > been traveling this same interstate for many years). Again, I'd > be grateful for your advice on how to fix the problem. > > Many thanks! > Ken

I use this method of checking the speedometer and it is suprisingly accurate. Drive on the interstate and count

10 mile markers while going at constant 60 MPH. Measure the time it takes with stop watch or second hand of watch. It should take 10 minutes. Works better than you would expect and no special tools. Also, you can check the odometer.

I fixed a car recently that was pulling to the left pretty strongly by exchanging the two front tires.

Reply to
southluke

Aside from the variation that is inevitable on the hills here. you are risking your life driving at 60 mph on the highway. You'd be run over inside of three miles :)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

could be a slightly defective tire, something called radial > pull. I'd appreciate any advice you'd have on what to do next. > > Also, the speedometer seems about 5-7 miles off at least at high > speeds. When the speedometer reads 80mph, I'm going closer to > 70-75mph, based on other cars and my knowledge of the road (I've > been traveling this same interstate for many years). Again, I'd > be grateful for your advice on how to fix the problem. > > Many thanks! > Ken

But he has a Santa Fe. Imagine how I feel fighting all the red neck pick-em-up trucks in my Integra.

Reply to
southluke

could be a slightly defective tire, something called radial > pull. I'd appreciate any advice you'd have on what to do next. > > Also, the speedometer seems about 5-7 miles off at least at high > speeds. When the speedometer reads 80mph, I'm going closer to > 70-75mph, based on other cars and my knowledge of the road (I've > been traveling this same interstate for many years). Again, I'd > be grateful for your advice on how to fix the problem. > > Many thanks! > Ken

And there are other options. For example, one could go

120 MPH and expect to go 10 miles in 5 minutes.
Reply to
southluke

Reply to message from "hyundaitech" (Mon, 06 Aug

2007 11:14:48) about "Re: Hyundaitech - 2007 Santa Fe questions":

h> Just remember that you're offering information to possibly help them. h> My recommendation is to offer it up and drop the subject. A h> knowledgeable technician actually diagnosing the car trumps "some guy h> on the internet."

That said I recall the time I took my Tib to the dealer for other work on a Saturday and asked the so called advisor to have someone look into my clutch pedal squeak. The guy said I would have to bring the car back on Monday as they would have to put it up on the hoist and drop the transmission. I was floored! I told him the squeak was from the pedal spring but he stuck to his lame story. All I wanted was for someone to lubricate the spring but nooo....

Did it myself later that day and the squeak has been gone for over a year now. I wrote an email to the service manager and gave them a negative survey response when asked how the service went.

Moral of Story - Be properly informed, get TSB printouts or whatever, buy a copy of the Shop Manual and print out the relevant pages, and suggest these fixes because sometimes the person 'advising' is a moron. Then check the car out before leaving the vicinity of the dealership. If it is still not fixed turn back and let them know right away. Don't just pick up the keys from the cashier. Speak to the 'advisor' again and ask what they found and what they think they fixed. Tell him you will be back if not satisfied.

My 2 cents.

Regards Wayne Moses Sun, 19 Aug 2007 00:06:18 -0500

Wayne Moses

Was it warranty work? I can imagine them squirting some lube on the spring and billing Hyundai for transmission adjustments with 4 hours labor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to message from "Edwin Pawlowski" (Sun, 19 Aug 2007

07:34:29) about "Re: Hyundaitech - 2007 Santa Fe questions":

EP> Was it warranty work? I can imagine them squirting some lube on the EP> spring and billing Hyundai for transmission adjustments with 4 hours EP> labor.

I suspect that is precisely why he was being obtuse. I wanted them to invest 3 minutes in customer goodwill but I guess he simply missed that opportunity. Now this customer is telling the world via the Internet.

Regards Wayne Moses Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:08:26 -0500

Wayne Moses