seat belt - 02 Accent 2dr Hatchback

I have a 2002 2dr Accent Hatchback. The passenger side seat belt "spool" (near the floor - behind the interior panel of the back seat)is messed up. When someone puts on the seatbelt,sometimes it locks and won't release. It just keeps getting tighter and tighter. (I know it is designed to "lock up" in the event of a sudden movement - but then after that it won't release) Seems like a ratcheting feature is broken. Is this an expensive repair?? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
mule

That depends on what you call expensive. Very rough estimate, $300 to $400 for new seat belt and retractor assembly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I assume this is a dealer part (or junkyard)?? Is it difficult to replace???

Reply to
mule

I wouldn't have any problem with a junk yard seat belt as long is it was operating properly and wasn't worn in a collision. Your call whether you do new or used.

In most cases, the seat belts are reasonable simple (again, depending on your definition of "difficult) to replace. They anchor with a bolt under the rear seat, and you'll typically have to pull a couple trim pieces to get to the retractor end.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, I will give it a try!!!

Reply to