lighter power

Is there any way to reconfigure the wiring for the cigarette lighter in my '04 Santa Fe so it is powered on all the time? I want to use it to keep my
telephone charged up.
FHM
To do it properly, you'd have to wire from an unused fuse location (or install a fuse holder at the battery and run a wire from there) with constant power and install a 15A fuse.
You'll be able to pick up constant power off the clock, radio, hazard switch, and perhaps a couple other places, but the circuits may not handle the power of the lighter.
Check out the schematics at www.hmaservice.com if you want to investigate. They'll be in the section under the tab "ETM." I don't recall whether the '04 Santa Fe has schematics there yet. If not, choose the '03. The three items I mentioned above should be wired the same, but there may be some minor differences, so be sure to verify.
"fhm" wrote: > Is there any way to reconfigure the wiring for the cigarette > lighter in my > '04 Santa Fe so it is powered on all the time? I want to use > it to keep my > telephone charged up. > > > FHM
You mean while the key is unplugged? I wouldnt recommend doing that. Car batteries arent designed to run more than a clock and maybe an alarm system. Theyre good at short bursts (starting the engine) but not good at maintaining a steady drain. When the engine is running, the lighter socket is drawing power from the alternator, but if you leave a phone charger (say 4W) connected to it continuously, itll shorten your battery life.
Why would you want to do such a thing, anyway? Why would you leave your mobile phone in your car while you werent there? :)
If your charger uses 4W, you'll deplete anything but a near full-strength battery overnight. Good point.