Re: 02 Accent

Very rare to get what the sticker says. If you read how they test the cars, you'll see it is not very realistic method compared to the way 99% of us drive. The '08 models will be closer to the truth in listings.
That said, 26 highway seems low for an Accent as on straight highway I can get that on my 6 cylinder Sonata.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

equipped Elantras seem to struggle to meet their ratings.

It seems REALLY low for straight highway driving. He should be getting ~10 MPG more than that, but again it depends how he's driving. If he's doing 80+ and driving aggressively all the time, I would expect his mileage to be that low.