Re: My '06 2.7 Santa Fe eats belts

OK, lets try this with a message ... oops.
At 12,000 km I had to replace the surpentine belt because of major squeaking. Now at 21,000 the squeaking is coming back. The sound is
immediately silenced with the new belt. Dayco belt.
What gives? Misaligned pulley? Crap contaminating the belt? I keep the engine bay clean with water rinse. No belt dressing, of course. Anyone else have this issue?
Gord
What was the condition of the belt you took off? My gut tells me that this is not really a belt problem at all.
My first hunch is that your belt tensioner isn't working right. But it could be 100 things.
Take the belt off, and inspect it carefully, and inspect and move the tensioner. That's where one has to start.
BTW, I'm not an expert, but I have a hunch you're going to "hear it" about using water rinse in your engine compartment. I'm pretty sure that there are more than a few places in the engine compartment where water should not be going.
Tom Wenndt

I didn't think it was a belt either. It looked fine when I took it off, but with a new belt all the noise cleared up. I thought the tensioner as well. Maybe I'll pull it off and give it a bit of a shuffle.

If the belt looks okay, there's no real issue with it other than the noise.
I've only had one other 2.7 do this. After replacing the belt twice, I spoke to Hyundai tech assistance, who recommended I replace the idler pulley as well. Unfortunately, I think the customer left town shortly after the repairs, so I don't know for sure whether it ever came back. I believe his last service visit was when I replaced the pulley.
oh, they replaced the tensioner pully on mine too.. just after they replaced the belt the 1st time

So the new tensioner didn't help then? The new belt failed too?

didntn help at all.. 6 months later they were replacing the belt again... they said if it does it again they are going to have to look into what is causing it to eat belts..

Just for clarity, I'll restate that the pulley I was instructed by Hyundai to replace was the idler pulley, not the tensioner pulley.
that the one that just looks like a thick hockey puck with a lil hole in the middle??

Yep. It's held on by one 17mm bolt.
Who needs pulleys when we have hockey pucks!

Could be a lot of things. What did the dealer say? As an '06 with 12,000 km, would it not be covered? Also, at that distance, do you really have to be washing down the engine? That may be contributing to the problem.

I anticipated someone suggesting that road grime or antifreeze had glazed the belts. That is why I mentioned only water with no soaps or other sprays which could cause problems.. I give it a quick spray a couple times a year. Hate the dust in there.
Hhmm. maybe it is water, who knows. But with the amount of bloody rain we've had on the West coast, there is water everywhere anyway.
Dealer says new belt for $80 plus installation. No warranty on belts. It ran totally quiet after the new belt was installed, so the tensioner is OK.

Considering the low miles you are getting from the belt, it may well be a warranty problem. I don't know of anyone wearing out belts that fast and there must be a cause. The cause, likely, is a warranty problem. Could be a defective pulley on anything the belt touches. The real problem is to find what one is the cause. Check the surface of all the pulleys for pitting, rust, check alignment. IMO, the dealer should be doing this since it is not normal wear.
If the dealer is not co-operating, bump the question up a notch to a district manager.
wrote in message

My thoughts exactly. Gotta be alignment, maybe the grooves aren't just perfect. Thanks ..
hey Gordo, where bouts on the west coast are ya, I am on the west coast as well and have had my belt replaced twice as well as well as the tensioner.. I have an 06 Santa Fe, with 2.7 V6 has 19,000 km on it now 1st time it was replaced was at about 9,500 km.... hmmmmmmmmm looks like a patern about 10,000 km and it needs to be replaced..

I'll send you an email.

mine has done the same thing... 06 Santa Fe with 2.7 V6 replaced twice already, last April and just last week....
Pete..