REading 2006 Sonata check engine light code

Page 2 of 3
On 1/19/2010 7:06 PM, Ed wrote:

critique my replacement regiment by boasting how you spend your money. Remember any one the internet can be a prince of Nigeria. As for the quality of my plugs and wires, if you don't know how good NGK's are, you probably shouldn't be handing out advice. I've only had problems with the oems so far, the NGK's have been great. If you would like to critique my other regular maintenance, here's my schedule:
Air filter @ every oil change (granted it's just a wash and re-oil, K&N filter) Coolant: yearly PS fluid: every 2 years Brake fluid: every brake job Blinker fluid: haven't had to replace that yet, the muffler bearings either. :)

I didn't see any other "attackers" but I don't know why you are jealous of how I spend my money. Everyone has their personal tastes. People buy extended warraties and service plans and never use them too. Their choice. If I spent my money on un-needed services, I'd not be able to travel every few years. But don't stop on my account.

I'm regarded as Royalty in Poland.
As for the

Never tried the K&N filters. I've heard too much negative on them. OTOH, I've never had a problem with paper filters so I'll continue to use them. They work so why play with oil? Change as recommended at 30,000
Coolant today is good for 3 to 5 years. I go that long and have never had a cooling problem since my '53 Merc. I've never changed PS fluid even after 15 years and 200,000 miles.
Considering that track record, I'm not going to change my schedule to spend more money. As for automatic trasmissions, I've only ever change fluid in one of them in 48 years of car ownership. Only one has ever has tranny failure. Guess which one? I'll never change it again.
.

I'd agree on that. In my case, about 3+ years and 60k+ miles.
On 1/20/2010 8:20 PM, Ed P wrote:

jealous of how you spend your money. I just said that if you feel the need to brag about how you spend it in this post it's only to boost your ego. And you were the other "attacker", you attacked my suggestion to replace spark plugs yearly. You may not agree with that and that is fine. You attacked the amount of money I "waste" on maintenance. Fine if you don't want to do maintenance on the same schedule, but you don't have to brag that you buy high ticket items and go on European vacations. All you had to do was say something like "I don't change them yearly, they should last longer than that." Or "I haven't needed to change my coolant in 5 years and it is still fine." But no, you had to go and come off sounding like a douche. I'll agree that I may change some of my fluids more often than needed, but that's my choice.
And for you other people reading this exchange, you should do your maintenance as you see fit, or at the recommendation of your favorite service tech. Really what's important here is keeping our cars running like new and however you go about achieving that is fine.

If you were not offended or jealous, you'd never bring it up. Something struck a nerve. Maybe it was the realization that you could still have a maintained automobile and do some extra things in your life.

Attacked? No, I but the money into a perspective that people can understand. Do you have an unfulfilled desire to travel? Does seeing how much you spend over the years hurt? I know people that could buy a new car merely by stopping smoking.
I made no personal attack, but it you want to be a victim, you may.
I'm glad that you added the P to your user name. For a while I was concerned that you were a dual personality.
Ed P wrote:

Yes, but that does not mean I'm not crazy!
My computer died so I'm using my wife's until my new one is ready. Bought a new computer with the money I saved on not changing spark plugs the last few years.
Ed P wrote:

savings as well.
On 1/21/2010 3:12 AM, Ed P wrote:

you to my ignore list. Goodbye.

Aw, you'll still be reading and waiting for this reply. No, I'm not a troll at all; look up the definition. You'd do better and be more accurate by classifying me as a PITA. Bye
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You are a cruel man, Mr. Pawlowski, but I agree with you analysis. :-)
Matt
On 1/18/10 4:44 PM, in article dv55n.1639$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe19.iad, "Voyager"

looking for arching wires still works.
B.C. MALLAM wrote:

Well, most of my plug wires arch all of the time, but they seldom arc. :-)
Matt

I wonder if there's a problem with your fuel sending unit. Can't remember off the top of my head whether it's monitored by the ECM. Numerous problems with these in early production '06 Sonatas.

I agree that's a little odd. Normally, trouble codes remain for longer than that, even after the lamp goes out, unless the battery went dead or was disconnected.
Most faults require two successive failures to turn the lamp on, and then three successive test pass results for the lamp to be turned out.
Certain important faults will set the lamp at the first fault.
If there's only been one fault, the code is stored as "pending" and will be erased if the next test passes. I suppose it's technically possible that this was an important fault that only occurred once.
Of course, it's also possible that the technician didn't check all necessary systems (engine and trans) or for whatever reason decided the thing to do was to clear whatever the code was and simply deny its existence since the check engine lamp was on.
hyundaitech wrote:

Stopped by the dealer today and they read the code, which this time was there and the light was still on. I didn't write down the number, but I believe he said it was a P2167. It was a "lean" indication and they suspect the O2 sensor. I take the car in on Thursday to get it fixed.
Matt
On 1/19/2010 2:40 PM, Voyager wrote:

Ed wrote:

Actually, didn't know. I left the Sonata at the dealer today and they now say the problem wasn't the O2 sensor after all and it really IS reading a lean condition due to a leak at the intake manifold. They say a new gasket is needed so we shall see.
I can't remember ever having an intake manifold gasket go bad, so I'm somewhat suspicious that when they pull the manifold to replace the gasket they will find something more serious such as a cracked or warped manifold or head mating surface.
I assume this will be a warranty repair given that I'm the original owner and the car is less than 10 years old and has less than 100,000 miles.
Has anyone else had a 2.4L engine with a failed intake manifold gasket? hyundaitech, is this a failure mode you see often?
Matt
On 1/21/2010 8:13 PM, Voyager wrote:

Ed wrote:

It certainly seems odd to me. I hope it isn't a hint of things to come. I had a 1984 Honda Accord that was a pretty good car until 4 years of age and 60,000 miles. It began to systematically self-destruct at that point and I have not owned anything since that said Honda on it (not even lawn mowers!).
At least the Sonata has warranty left!!
Matt

Interesting. I wonder why it showed after a fill up. I'd have thought something like that would happen under any circumstances. It does prove that the shade tree mechanic is a thing of the past unless he has a code reader.