Surging on starting, 2001 Elantra.

The engine has started to surge to 3000 rpm when starting up, settles down after two or three minutes. Any comments? Normally it has just gone to 500/1000 rpm.

Reply to
Irwell

"Irwell" ha scritto nel messaggio news:4vqjrx2apz3f$.1th5ycktf92k$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net...

Cold weather?

Reply to
Zotto

My 2002 SantaFe, 2.7 litre, used to immediately rev to 2000 rpms on startup in extreme cold weather. I never liked this because the oil is thicker when the car is first started., so, I located the Idle Speed Solenoid on top of the engine, took it off , and put a piece of tiny sheetmetal on the flange and punched 2 smaller holes into the metal , then reattached the Solenoid . Now it revs to 1,000 rpms when first started . But, i suspect your problem is not related to the Idle Speed Solenoid Control. Ill bet it is a function of the computer or an irratic sensor .

Reply to
ilbebauck

Thanks for the answer, I suspect you are right about the sensor/computer, it has settled back to 'normal' the last few days.

Reply to
Irwell

My 2002 SantaFe, 2.7 litre, used to immediately rev to 2000 rpms on startup in extreme cold weather. I never liked this because the oil is thicker when the car is first started., so, I located the Idle Speed Solenoid on top of the engine, took it off , and put a piece of tiny sheetmetal on the flange and punched 2 smaller holes into the metal , then reattached the Solenoid . Now it revs to 1,000 rpms when first started . But, i suspect your problem is not related to the Idle Speed Solenoid Control. Ill bet it is a function of the computer or an irratic sensor .

Reply to
John

The throttle position sensor is a common failure on this year Elantra. If it reads too high a voltage, the RPMs may be excessive and the automatic transmission may shift at odd times.

I've also seen some leaking intake manifold gaskets, but they don't usually fix themselves.

Reply to
hyundaitech