Thinking of a Hyundai

Page 1 of 2
I was looking for a used Corolla when someone suggested a Hyundai instead.
What do they have in a used car, around a 2000 model, that has the same
kind of leg room as a Corolla ( as much as possible ) , auto and AC, gets 35-40 REAL LIFE MPG, and isnt too low to the ground for us older folks? :-)
Sarah Houston wrote:

Well, a Corolla won't get 35-40 MPG either unless you drive 50 MPH on level interstates all of the time. The Elantra is probably the closest to the Corolla, but the Accent may not be too bad either.
Matt

Ok. Are the older used ones as reliable as Corollas?

Hyundai has dramatically improved quality in the last five years, but a 2000 model is now 9 years old.

I'd recommend a 2001 or newer Elantra if you're interested in reliability. That year began a new model and was another notch up in terms of quality.
I'm still not convinced Hyundai can hold its own with Toyota on long- term reliability. The most recent improvements haven't had time to be old enough to draw a conclusion.
Sarah Houston wrote:

I don't have personal experience with the Accent or Elantra. I have a 2006 Sonata that has been extremely reliable. It has some annoying design issues, but everything works today (45,000 miles) as it did the say I bought in three years ago.
Hopefully, others here can share some first-hand Elantra or Accent experiences. I doubt either of the Hyundai's will match the Corolla for reliability, but they also won't even close to match the Corolla's cost.
Matt
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:43:02 -0600, Sarah Houston

My daughte has a 2000 Elantra that she is still driving and is still happy with the car. She just recenlly told me that a new car is not even on the horizon at this time. The only work the has been reuired on the car in those 9 years are oil chnages, new tires, new battery, new belts, new wipers blades, all the usual things must expect.
Her Elantra still looks shinly and clean as well.
Old_Timer

There are none. Nor are there any Corollas getting real life 40 mpg. The only car I've driven with 42 mpg was a Smart ForFour and they are not sold in the US.
Elantra would be the model of interest to you. They have proven to be pretty decent cars. The Accent is smaller, but I think it may be too small and it may be hard to find with Auto and AC in the older models.

I beleive that the Smart cars are being sold in the U.S. I have seen a few on the streets including one just today.
Old_Timer

Yes some models are, but the ForFour is not. In Europe you can also get the Mercedes emblem version if you want a bit more upscale model.

Actually, one of the guys I work with gets a real life 41 MPG in his 2002 Corolla. I called BS on him and he showed me an even more detailed log than I make for myself. It's for real. I should add that his commute consists of 36 miles of a 2 lane state highway with a 45-50 MPH speed limit the entire way. He just rolled 200,000 miles around the beginning of the year too. The only thing besides the regular fluid changes he has done is brakes, tires and windshield wipers. Just recently he had to replace his first O2 sensor too. Not too shabby for the <$11,000 he spent on it new.
Eric

That may be possible. I take a stretch like that also and the mileage is great cruising steady at that speed. . I only do about 8 miles of the 24 I travel though, the rest is either faster or slower with some stop & go.
Sarah I would say no, 4 cylinder Hyundai's back then I believe were famous for chewing up timing belts and if it is a interference type of engine and the belt breaks it will most likely bend some valves requiring the head to be rebuilt or replaced. Meaning the car would not be worth repairing. I put 25,000 mi. yr. on my car that's why I got a Sentra because it does not have a timing belt! My wife has a 2004 Santa Fe and I wished we could have waited until Hyundai started putting timing chains in them. 2006 ?

The engines that famously chewed timing belts are: 1.6, 1.8 -- 1992-1995 Elantra 2.0 -- 1992-1998 Sonata 2.4 -- 1999-2005 Sonata.
1996 and newer Elantras should have no timing belt issues if the belt is changed anywhere near the service interval (4 years/60k miles).
hyundaitech wrote:

Personally I would go for 2002 or later Elantra
Earlier Elantraś did have some issues Later ones appeared to go up SEVERAL notches in quality and reliability
Then again nothing wrong with the Toyota product either but it is going to be dearer to buy and to run/repair .
We have both in our fleets and to be honest the Hyundais have proven bullet proof -as have the little toyotaś here in Australia
where the conditions are MUCH harsher HTH
Kind of makes you want to quit driving except for emergengies when one gets close to the timing belt required change. Mine is a 2002 XG350 and for the first 5 years it was a perfect car except for gas milage. (about 18 in town and 25-28 0n the highway) at 2,000 rpm it runs just about 60 mph and my wife's Buick Lucerne gets 22 in town and 30 on the hwy. At 2,000 rpm her's cruises at about 70. I have a friend that has a Toyota Corolla and his doesn't get that so I think the other posters are shooting you the right info. My next new one is gonna be a Chevrolet volt (if GM don't go out of business in the interim.)then we can tell the folks in the middle east to kiss our keesters. If I was gonna get one that old I'd stay with the Toyota or a Nissan.
Hi Sarah,I bought a 2000 accent for my GF when her Mazda blew a head gasket several years ago.I didn't have time to read consumer reports that said the 2000 was not a good buy.I did a www.autobrag.com search several days ago and found 3 dealers willing to take my $8000 offer for a base 3dr 2009 accent.I never figured they would go that low.Don't know how much you have to spend but if you look for new and decide on different model you can try the above site in your area.

I have a 2003 Elantra with 80k+ miles and have had zero problems - just regular maintenance costs. Best gas mileage is about 34 mpg and that's with the five speed manual stick (automatic might be a little less). After six years the body/paint has held up really well too. Instead of thinking about a "2000 model" why not think in terms of finding the newest model you can afford? My new Elantra only cost $13k. My wife has a 2001 Corolla and the leg room is comparable to the Elantra.
I have a 2K Accent GS 5 speed with 120,000 miles planning to take this car in the 1st week of March to change out the timing belt. I bought this car new and had very few problems over the years.
Tom Welch in Mesa, AZ USA
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:31:22 -0800 (PST), PMP4Hire wrote:

Is this the second timing belt to be changed? Or the original?
My 2001 Elantra has now reeached the 60K mile, though the manual says it can go for 100k in California, I am inclined to swap it out now.