Finding a used Corolla

Jeez, we're looking on Craig's List for a used Corolla ( 1998-2001 ) and the market is drying up.

Is it because people are afraid to buy new cars with this economy, and are sucking up all the used ones?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

And/Or are opting to keep their old cars, as long as they're running fine & not ridiculously old - & sucking too much out of their budgets re: upkeep.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

If you want to find used Corollas look on the used car lots of any of the domestic and other foreign car dealers. They have lots of, low mileage, late model Corollas on their lots

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not around NW Ohio Mike. The people I've talked to say that the used car market is scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Seems like folks who have been laid off don't buy new cars much...for some reason. The 'official figure of 10 to 12% unemployment is a bunch of hog wash, it's more like 20 to 25%. You would be better off looking in a 'Trader' magazine for a used car than trying to find one on a dealer's lot.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

This very topic was on "Car Talk" this morning/week. They mentioned that if people are getting rid of their old cars, that many are now buying used instead of new, so... used car prices are now relatively up from where they would normally be, both on dealers' lots & via private sale.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

My local Ford dealer has a 2008 Corolla with only 6,000 miles, a coupe of Tundras and a dozen Camrys, as well, all late models. The problem with the Camrys is they are 4cy cars and not much good on the local mountains.

As to new vehicles, dealers are still selling them at an annual rate around

11,000,000.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Dont want late model, I can afford something under about $4000.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

That was a dirty trick that Clinton pulled on us. He changed the stats, so that people who had fallen off unemployment insurance were no longer counted as "unemployed", but "out of the work force", and he started counted military as "employed". It makes the government look better but it's a lie.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

The unemployment numbers reflect the number of people actively seeking work who do not yet have work.

Many people are out of the work force and are NOT seeking work, and are therefore not unemployed.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not according to the official statistic for unemployed adults, the most widely reported number for unemployment. If a person worked less than an hour the previous week but wanted employment, that person is classified as unemployed. About 100,000 people are surveyed every month.

That change was made in 1983, when Bill Clinton was Governor of Arkansas and Ronald Reagan was President of the United States. So why did Reagan want to lie about the unemployment rate?

How about a Chevy Prizm instead of a Toyota Corolla? Prizms are virtually Corollas under the skin and built on the same assembly line in California, but for some reason they have different brands of ABS. Prizms tend to be cheaper because some people don't know they're actually Corollas.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Thank you!

It *was* REAGAN who pulled the statistics nonsense like he did on so many other facts and figures as well. A foolish retired B grade actor he was in and out of office.

YEP I had a GEO PRIZM and it handled better than a Corolla as it had less weight in the front and thus less understeer. Also, the seats were much better made than any Corolla out at the time and the radio and speakers better as well

I would seriously look into a Prizm if I was on that type of budget

Reply to
Jose

Sarah's right on the unemployed/out-of-the-work-force farce. I don't remember who was prez when the change was made regarding the military but they have never counted people who just didn't work as unemployed. The figures are generated by the number of unemployment checks written every month. If your unemployment coverage has run out, guess what? You now are no longer unemployed according the government.

Never trust a politician to tell the truth.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

I only see one on the Denver Craig's List and it doesnt seem like that is true.

Sarah Houston

I remember it because I was in the unemployment office during the Clinton administration, looking for work after my UI ran out, and the woman there TOLD me this. She says; You know, you're no longer unemployed. I said; huh? That's news to me. Then she tells me that Clinton played with the stats that way, and also started counting military as "employed" ( ever heard of unemployed military? ) to make himself look better.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

A 1998 Corolla is just getting broken in, so the owners don't want to sell them.

Reply to
SMS

I wouldn't call him a B grade actor. After all, he was an Oscar nominee for his performance in King's Row and was VERY good as the man who loses his legs.

Just as Consumer Reports said, contrary to what some people said about them having an anti-American bias.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Question remains unanswered by Sarah, who seems to be allergic to the facts.

A sample of one. That must mean you have the overwhelming truth on your side.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Or an uninformed citizen. Sarah contended that Clinton made the change, but in reality the change occurred in 1983. Also the US does not count as unemployed only people receiving unemployment payments, although that used to be done in Britain. Here's how the US actually counts unemployment, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the government agency that compiles it:

Where do the statistics come from?

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and because it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940 when it began as a Work Projects Administration program. It has been expanded and modified several times since then.

What are the basic concepts of employment and unemployment?

The basic concepts involved in identifying the employed and unemployed are quite simple:

People with jobs are employed. People who are jobless, looking for jobs, and available for work are unemployed. People who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force. Who is counted as employed?

Employed persons consist of:

All persons who did any work for pay or profit during the survey reference week. All persons who did at least 15 hours of unpaid work in a family-owned enterprise operated by someone in their household. All persons who were temporarily absent from their regular jobs, whether they were paid or not.

Not all of the wide range of job situations in the American economy fit neatly into a given category. For example, people are considered employed if they did any work at all for pay or profit during the survey reference week. This includes all part-time and temporary work, as well as regular full-time, year-round employment. Persons also are counted as employed if they have a job at which they did not work during the survey week because they were:

On vacation Ill Experiencing child-care problems Taking care of some other family or personal obligation On maternity or paternity leave Involved in an industrial dispute Prevented from working by bad weather Who is counted as unemployed? Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work.

Workers expecting to be recalled from layoff are counted as unemployed, whether or not they have engaged in a specific jobseeking activity. In all other cases, the individual must have been engaged in at least one active job search activity in the 4 weeks preceding the interview and be available for work (except for temporary illness).

Who is not in the labor force?

Persons not in the labor force are those who are not classified as employed or unemployed during the survey reference week.

Labor force measures are based on the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years old and over. (Excluded are persons under 16 years of age, all persons confined to institutions such as nursing homes and prisons, and persons on active duty in the Armed Forces.) The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder=97 those who have no job and are not looking for one=97are counted as "not in the labor force." Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force.

What about cases of overlap?

When the population is classified according to who is employed, unemployed, and not in the labor force on the basis of their activities during a given calendar week, situations are often encountered where individuals have engaged in more than one activity. Because persons are counted only once, it must be decided which activity will determine their status. Therefore, a system of priorities is used:

Labor force activities take precedence over non-labor force activities. Working or having a job takes precedence over looking for work.

larry moe 'n curly

It sounds like a bullshit story because it doesn't match the facts and because it credibility is so low that it requires both you and the government employee to have been drunk. But I simply don't believe that the government employee was drunk.

I repeat the following, which proves you're wrong. Notice that it says nothing about counting only the unemployed who are receiving unemployment insurance, but it does say that people who have no work but are looking for it are classified as unemployed.

Where do you get so much false and even wierd information that you can't back up with any credible (i.e., not partisan) sources? That's not a rhetorical question.

larry moe 'n curly