Trunk release won't

2000 Sonata: My remote trunk release no longer works. This has nothing to do with the release lockout mechanism on the trunk lid. I pull the handle by the driver's seat, and nothing happens -- I need to use
the key to get the trunk open.
How does this remote release work? There's nothing visible to me. Is it electric or mechanical? I'm thinking electric on the lid latch unit because I can't see anything mechanical on the fixed part ("hasp?").
Richard
If you've got a lever on the floor, it's cable operated. If you've got a switch on the door, it's electric with a solenoid attached to the latch.
| If you've got a lever on the floor, it's cable operated. If you've got a | switch on the door, it's electric with a solenoid attached to the latch. |
It's a lever on the floor. Are there any typical failure modes -- places where the cable breaks, etc?
Thanks.
Richard
I've actually never seen this cable fail on a Hyundai. Most cables break near either end. You'll want to pull up the lever and check the latch to make sure the cable is attached. It's also possible there's a problem with the latch or lever.