trunk release 99 Camry

I would appreciate any info on how to repair a defective interior trunk release on my 99 Camry. On pulling the lever there is no resistance as prior and of course the lid doesn't pop. Trunk opens the old fashioned way via the key in lock method. Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance The Artful Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

The cable goes back to the mechanism in the trunk lid latch and terminates in a little metal ball. My cable streched to the point where pulling the release didn't work any longer. I removed the trunk lid liner, then the two bolts holding the release and latch mechanism, then clipped a lead fishing weight the the cable just above the old ball. This took up the slack and now it works fine.

-- John M. Darnielle Remove anti spam phrase from reply address to e-mail me.

Reply to
John M. Darnielle

The simple fixes are always the best.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

My thanks for the info--fumble fingers here managed to actually fixed it in under an hour in 40 degree weather. there was a point there where I was ready to drive to the dealership but I do figure through sheer stubborness I saved myself at least $50. Warm Regards The Codge

Reply to
Artfulcodger

My dealer's minimum charge is about $80. :(

Reply to
Dave