1988 trooper (4 cylinder gas engine)

I am getting intermittent performance from my starter motor. Sometimes when I turn the key, I just get a clicking noise. Other times it will start right away. I know it is probably a bad solenoid. Can this solenoid be
replaced or rebuilt or do I have to change the complete starter motor? Thanks for any help!
mule wrote:

Replace the starter motor with a rebuilt one. Do it yourself. Quite easy (from underneath) on this car. No jacking required. Best solution I think. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
--
http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

"teich3" wrote: > I am getting intermittent performance from my starter motor. > Sometimes when > I turn the key, I just get a clicking noise. Other times it > will start > right away. I know it is probably a bad solenoid. Can this > solenoid be > replaced or rebuilt or do I have to change the complete > starter motor? > Thanks for any help!
Sometimes that problem can be caused by something as simple as dirty battery terminals. So check that first.
Cheers, Bigant
Hi, I had an exact problem with my 90 Trooper 2.6l. I solved the problem by replacing the ground cable from the battery to the engine ground. It appears that the factory cable deteiriates over time. Good Luck :) Ernie