Phone

I've just purchased a Dec 2001 S series 3 litre sport.. UK spec. It has all the in car phone stuff, but no Phone. I think it's a Motorola cos it's got The big M on the fitting.. Ready to receive the slide in phone.. My Nokia obviously doesn't fit.. Anyone have any Idea which model Motorola would be appropriate and can I still buy one in England?

Thanks in advance Peter

(Living in the Country that have just won the Rugby World Cup)

Reply to
Peter Horsman

I am quite sure it uses the same connections as the motorola startac.

Dave W

Reply to
David Wilkinson

Firstly, with regard to winning the World Cup, 'just' is indeed the appropriate word! :-)

Re yr mobile, the StarTac model is a very old unit and unlikely to be the model. Unless, you have a CDMA set-up (as opposed to GSM) in which case Motorola used the last few bodies to put out a CDMA model. In Oz its almost impossible to get a good, functioning unit or parts as they are totally obsolete.

Fazal

Reply to
Comm Clinic

You may have the same problem that I met on my 1999 XKR, the vehicle had the cradle installed but no phone and the handbook stated it was one of the Startac range. Our local phone dealer obtained 2 models and they fitted, but unfortunately the phones failed to work, according to the Jag dealer they are coded presumably by Motorola (I believe the genuine version features the Jag logo). To purchase from the dealer in the UK costs around £400 so isn't really worth it unless you are going to use it a lot. Its not much compensation but I've been told Mercedes also charge a high price for their car phones.

Reply to
Howard Clough

Here in Oz, the Mercedes kit takes a Nokia 6210. If you put later models in (6210[late]/6310/6310i) the software sometimes doesn't work and we have to 'dumb' it down by changing the software. The killer part is that an MB car-kit upgrade has been quoted at up to A$3000, by MB dealers.

-- Fazal Cader Manager Communication Clinic, 910 North Road, East Bentleigh 3165

03-9563-7333, 03-9563-7744 [fax]

Reply to
Comm Clinic

Thank you all for your advice. It sounds like an expensive game if I want to use the full incar system... I guess I'll just by a hands free kit. It's just a shame not to be able to use the full system with the radio stuff and steering wheel buttons. Peter

Reply to
Peter Horsman