2001 Sport

I'm thinking about buying a 2001 Sport. Any initial thoughts, problems or things to look for when I go? Does anyone have a link to the specs on that year? Trans/Gears/Standard EQ

Reply to
arvin

David C. Moller

Hey Arvin,

The 2001 TJ is a good year. They offered (Optional) the Dana 44 (rear) that year with the group that gave you the 30" tires (vs.. P215/75R15 - 15X7 Wheels)) on 15X8 aluminum wheels. That is a plus to have. The gear ratio with the 44 was 3.73:1. The soft top (Sailcloth) was a new design for that year and is very quiet compared to previous years.

The transmission is the AX15 The transfercase is a NP231 Both have shown they are adequate.

Good luck on your quest. I'm not sure what you have in mind to do with this Jeep but search for the Dana 44 if plans are to go off-road.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thanks Andy, I'm looking for something that doesn't eat all my spare change and leak on me and the garage like my CJ-7. The CJ is fun but not a good everydayer if you know what I mean. I just don't much about the newer ones. I plan to put 4.56 or 4.11 gears with a 4" lift and 285 75r 16 BFGs on it with a (I think its called) Trail something spare tire carrier with a winch.

Reply to
arvin

I just recently bought a '01 TJ and have been loving it. I drive it everyday and have done over 4,000 kms in about three months, its been great with no problems. We are lucky here in NZ because TJ Renegades (they are not called Saharas here because apparently Nissan has some copyright issues with it) come in 4.0L only with a rear Dana 44 as standard. At this stage I have stock wheels which are 16" five spoke alloys with 225/70 R16 BFG AT KOs. I'll think about upgrading tyre size once the current ones wear out. TJ has only done about 32k kms so far and is still under original factory warranty.

It was raining all day today so I had to be careful as my TJ has no ABS.

Cheers, TW

Reply to
TW

I have an 01 with the 5 sp manual tranny. Love it. One thing to note though... the manual tranny is noisy. I brought mine back to the dealer several times before they convinced me it was "normal". Not sure if you were looking at the auto or manual, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Reply to
FrankW