Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

Threaded View

  I just spent $100 getting new antifreeze after a hose leak (the same
quantity of standard, name brand antifreeze for a 'regular' engine would
have run about $16).

  The specification is ESD-M97B49-A.  I can't find much in a search on
Google and very little of what I did find relates to a lower-cost
replacement.  A visit to the local Kragen auto parts store didn't turn up
anything on the labels, although one shared a few of the letters and
numbers.

  What is suitable and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

In this country any anti freeze suitable for alloy blocks is OK

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

yep,
 Some "import garage" owner thought I had a "stupid" tattoo on my forehead
just because I have a VDP. Tried to hit me up for $70 USD a gallon for
antifreeze 20 bucks for a filter and $10 a quart for oil. What was good
enough for any other aluminum block is good enough for a Jag. My last
aluminum block engine had 204,000 miles on it and was still running strong
when some idiot hit me and totaled my truck. Incidentally I run Havoline
10w30. AAMCO does my tranny fluid and filter change because they have a
nationwide warranty and I can't get rid of the fluid. Any radiator shop can
do the antifreeze change for the same fluid reason. Just make sure you
change the thermostat before you take the car to have the antifreeze
changed.

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

There are different types of anti freeze BTW  - just make sure its
correct for your engine alloy - should have a recommended cars or what
the specs comply with on either a chart or container. Cheap maybe not
correct for the engine and can in longer term be very expensive.

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

Very true Rob. Acids can be nasty. Sierra makes one that is environmentally
friendly and is already mixed 50/50. When I was military and was able to do
my own at the auto hobby shop, that's what I used.

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

  I didn't see that when in a store.  I also haven't found it on the web
(but I was specifically searching for the ESD number listed in my Owner's
Manual, not a general antifreeze).

Jeff

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

  The antifreeze bottles I perused at Kragens didn't list engine
compatibility.  I didn't see any reference to aluminum block engines, but I
was concentrating on the ESD number.

  Why does the thermostat need to be changed if you put in a compatible
antifreeze?

Jeff

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

The thermostat controls the temp of your engine. Eventually the spring will
weaken to the point it will either stick open or closed. It's a good idea to
change it every time you change anti-freeze to avoid costly repairs later.
Especially true in an aluminum block. It's cheap peace of mind.

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

I don't think its the spring that fails but the wax.

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

have a look through these

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/product_list.php?subcatid=1

or another oil company products for comparison.

Re: Replacement antifreeze for aluminum block engine in an XK8?

  Interesting.  I should pick up some for... whenever.

  Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Site Timeline