XK8 Engine safety mode

Razzing around in my XK8 I am getting a problem. It can start to drive in a very jerky fashion, and the gears are unsure of where to be. A light comes on the dash saying engine failure safety mode. I have taken it to the garage and they have plugged in the diagnostic and come up with nothing. He said its probably dirt in the air inlet and so cleaned it out for me, it was okay for a day and is doing it again. If I put my foot down then the problem disappears.

Any ideas or similar problems

Nick

-- Nick Bennett buys 007 memorabilia The Biggest Online Bond Collection @

Nick

Sounds like a possible TPS issue. What is your vcm code?

DieInterim

Reply to
DieInterim

thanks, whats a VCM code?

Nick

vcm code?

Reply to
Nick

Big oops!

The xk8 does not have The "vehicle control monitor". Any codes that you might have can only be deleted by the dealer. Codes can be retrieved using an interface tool found at many part stores, however, the dealer can usually diagnose your fault codes for about 50- 60 us dollars. The VCM was a great tool found in older Jags, so much so that FORD ommited these in later models.

Jerky driving is typically caused by the TPS as I mentioned earlier, as well as a transmission temp sensor. ....Sometimes it is worth the expense of having a dealer diagnose your issues because of the fact that they do everything possible to prevent you from knowing what the problem is.

Funny thing is that the US government has passed laws making diagnosis easier, but I have yet to see them enforce this. I suppose it is the same the world over.

Sorry,

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Sounds just like an XJ8 that's showing "Restricted Performance." Mine turned out to be the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. If it thinks your car is exceeding emissions standards it puts you into limp home mode. The dealership had a very hard time diagnosing it.

KK

Reply to
Kevin Killebrew