1994 XJ shake/vibration @ highway speed

My 94 XJ shakes/vibrates at highway speed and I can't seem to figure out what's going on. I had a similar problem a couple months ago and replacing the front drive shaft u-joints fixed it but it's happening again.

I hear a kind of clunking as I speed up and it stops (or I can't hear it anymore) from the front end and occasionally I hear a sort of chirping sound also. I rechecked the front shaft u-joints and they appear to be fine. I recently replaced the wheel hub u-joints. Tires are about 4 months old and have been rotated and balanced regularly. If anyone has any ideas or something else I might be able to check I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Rob

Reply to
themophead

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Is it likely that the front drive shaft u-joints are bad again after about 3 months of highway driving? Like I said, I replaced them not too long ago.

Rob

Reply to
themophead

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Sounds like the front hub u-joints again !

Tom T

Reply to
Tom T

Isnt there a ball thingy in the front axle joints assembly cardan that drys out? Mine did years ago but I only heard the chirps at low speed. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Sure, they can fail if the grease didn't get distributed and they can fail if the straps are stretched. The straps stretch easy from vibration and are only a couple bucks to replace.

Mike

them>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, there is a "ball thingy" (I don't know what it's really called) in my front drive shaft and it was completely dried out and extremely worn when I had the shaft out a couple months ago. I'll be taking the shaft out tonight and check that and the u-joints again and see if I can't get this figured out. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Reply to
themophead

It could also be a bad track bar. This is a bar in the front suspension that runs across the front of the vehicle and connects the axle to the chassis. If the ball joints on the ends get worn the Cherokee can shake at highway speed.

Reply to
DDKreiter

I had considered the fact that it might be a bad track bar (and my jeep does need an alignment) but I went ahead and pulled the front drive shaft and the shaking stopped. The centering ball in the cardan joint was completely shot, so I need to get the driveshaft redone. I would do it myself but the post on the shaft that goes into the centering ball is pretty worn so I think my only option at this point is to get a new front drive shaft.

Rob

Reply to
themophead