'99 TJ Lift Kit to get 35"?

I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I want to upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best route and what brand of kit is the best bang without spending too much?

I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering t-case, etc components.

What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?

Thanks

Reply to
griffin

6" long arm would be the best with 35", but 4" with a 1" body lift should be workable with some rub on articulation. The short list: Dana 44 rear, SYE +CV Driveshaft, 4 Wheel Disks brakes, possibly upgraded front brakes, minimum 4.88 gears, properly backspaced rims, or wheel spacers, a saw-all and a body grinder.
Reply to
jeff

JP magazine had an article on fitting 35s on a TJ with no lift. Here is the link:

nrs

The melting point of your credit card. :)

(couldn't resist)

The higher you get the more it becomes critical to watch the alignment and mounting bolts. I'd be paying close attention to where the power steering box attaches to the frame. This has been known to be a weak spot.

in particular.

DougW

I have on 05 with a 4.5 RE lift with cv shaft etc.

If you go that high I doubt, a transfer case drop will avoid the vibes. You should allocate more funds for a CV shaft too. 400 bucks.

I don't know what your gearing is in your diff's, but I guarantee if you go with 35's on stock gearing your tj will be a snail on the road. I don't know if you manual or auto trans, if it's manual, you will probably shutter when taking off from a stop, and kiss your top gear good bye because you won't ever have use for it. If its auto and has OD, that won't see any use either.

Reply to
ULB

From the article: "To do this we did some minor sheetmetal trimming, added in some trick mail-order parts, did a pinch of fabrication, and replaced the factory hood and front fenders."

Yea... right. It would be cheaper to put a lift on it. By the time you get done buying parts and having them painted to match and all that brewhah. Not to mention chopping away at your sheet metal.

K.

JP magazine had an article on fitting 35s on a TJ with no lift. Here is the link:

Kate

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Hey Bill,

That link din't work. Please report the correct link. Thanks bro!

Reply to
ULB

Hey Bill,

That link din't work. Please report the correct link. Thanks bro!

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

It depends on how good you want it to look. If you are willing to forego looks then it can be done very cheaply by just cutting sheetmetal and figuring out how to remount some things that go on the inside of the fenders. If you want it to look good, you will spend big $$$.

Reply to
nrs

The main problem is going to be the stock axles. An upgrade to Wagoneer Dana 44s front and rear would be the adequate way to go. I have seen these snap with 35" tires so to really have a good margin of strength you would ideally get some Dana 60s.

Reply to
nrs