99 TJ: 35" Tires w/ Lift Kit Help/Suggestions

Greetings,

I just picked up a used 1999 Jeep Wrangler. It currently has 32" tires on it, but the tread is wearing thing and I will be in the market for new tires pretty soon.

I want to purchase new tires and wheels and I am just looking for suggestions and comments to what this will entail.

This car is my every-day rider, but I am going to be doing a decent amount of off-roading w/ it.

I want to put on 35" tires. What does this entail as far as lift kits (is one required? which brands are good? does the lift kit have everything I will need? how much $ to have it installed or is it too difficult to do it yourself)? I want full articulation with the tires, so please let me know whatever is necessary.

Also - can I get away with not having to put on a lift kit if I go with 33"'s?

How does the lift kit affect driving performance and handling?

I am new to the auto-modification world, so please chime in with your knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

-Adam

Reply to
Adam

Um. Wow. Okay, if this is not a troll then I strongly suggest you do a bit of reading. The way I see it, you are asking way too much from a single newgroup posting. There's several books which are a good start. One that I liked was Jeep 4X4 Performance Handbook by Jim Allen.

Enjoy your new Jeep.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

dont forget to check on your backspacing vs the actual width of your tires and the actual width of your rims

define that. is it primarily on road, highway, or city? is it primarily for off road with a short commute? Is that off road once a month, or once a week?

Yes. Minimum 3" + 1" body lift. much better if you go with a 4" or higher kit for

35's. or there are combo's you can do with spacer lifts, etc.

RE , Tera, OME, Procomp, Skyjacker, and lots of others. depends on what you do with it...rock, sand, snow, mud, light trails, etc???

usually

Buck$$$ some of them you can easily do yourself, others you cant

No, not if it is at stock height.

depends on the lift. remember, it aint a sports car.

It would probably help you out if you read the archives of the news group...you would get a much better idea what is needed and what is out there for you and then you might be able to ask more specific questions to help determine what info you need.

Reply to
jbjeep
35's open a huge can of worms. Here are some things to think about 1) vibration, you will need a slip Yoke eleminator + new drive shaft$$$ 2) The flares will need to be extended since diving with 12.5s the tire will stick out or the fender. Even if it is not in the law, if you go offroading you will be covered in mud when the wheel spin. 3) Your gears might not be correct, this means regearing to at least 4.56 - front and back $$$ 4) Your steer will be weak, you will need to replace the tie rod. One forced turn with 35s and it can snap. 5) You will have problems parking it in garages, with a 6 inch lift and 35 the vehicle will grow a couple more inches. 6) I hope you have a dana 44 in the back otherwise you risk blowing up your diff. 7) expect the vehicle to handle differently and might not be as nice to drive on a long trip.

The list goes on ...

Reply to
Snowboardripper

I didn't buy the fender flares when I went to 12.5.. AND I have 3.25" backspacing (meaning my wheels make the tires stick out even more -- don't ask they were CHEAP).

Yes, you will get covered in mud. Heck, when the roads are wet your Jeep will look like crap-o-la when it dries. Looks like I went mudding and never left the pavement. Don't forget to roll up your windows -- almost got little drops of road slime all over my uniform!

It just isn't worth the $250+ for bigger flares to me. I'll take the dirty TJ and buy something useful.. like a new skid or something.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I have 33X 12.5 on my 98 TJ. Got a 2" lift kit and it looks and works great. If you're gonna be doing more off road action. Take the higher lift. More $$$ involved though. I still advise the wider fender flares. George

Reply to
OU812