Break Lock Up???? Any ideas?

1999 Sport Limited (w/ABS)

Driving along about 55mph and noticed the front end acting funny, especially when breaking (front end would dip and pull to the left). Then I started getting strong vibration in the steering wheel, so I pulled off to have a look. No surprise, the driver's side front break was smoking pretty good. Smelled pretty bad too.

After letting it cool down about an hour, I pulled the wheel but everything looked fine. It was still fairly warm, but the rotor spun freely between the pads. I drove home and it has been fine ever since.

What would cause the break to lock up and then unlock on it's own?

I may have slightly warped rotors, but nothing really noticeable when breaking.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Reply to
Jamie

Indeedy...I've had this problem a couple of times now.. Basicly your front disc calipers are seizing up. Generaly caused by dirt/crap getting into the calipers and causing them not to retract correctly.

Stripping the pistons down and cleaning them out works for me (until the next time they lock up) nothing fancy to do you'll need a a a large g-clamp, bleed kit, bottle of brake fluid and some spanners. Take one wheel off at a time remove the caliper from its mount and pump the brake pedal (engine running) until the piston pops out, remove (catch the run off of brake fluid).. Clean off the piston and the caliper and inspect for grooves.. Assuming you don't need to replace them press the pistom back into the caliper with the g-clamp.. Bleed and repeat on the other one..

Regards

Gyp

Reply to
Gyp