Cam Sensor Screeching When Cold

I have a 4.0L 2006 Jeep wrangler. Just recently, there is a terrible screeching noise that I traced with a stethoscope to the cam position sensor. It only screeches when the engine is cold. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Chris KQ6UP

Reply to
Chris Maness

Likely a dried out bushing on the distributor shaft and may require a new distributor to fix it - oops! Yours is individual coils on the plug rail, isn't it? Same diagnosis, but the part changes. Some where you will have a shaft that is geared to the camshaft. I haven't looked at the newer engines, but it's likely right where the old distributor was and the shaft is about the same deal as that was.

For a cold squeal, double check that it isn't the water pump. That's a real common cold noise source. Sure it isn't a belt?

- Will Honea

Reply to
Will Honea

I am sure it is coming from the Cam Sensor (where the distributor was pre 2000), I used a stethoscope to trace it down after changing the serpentine belt to no avail. When I put the steth on the CPS, it almost deafened me we the squeal that I was hearing on the outside.

The plot thickens. After making the post yesterday, I started loosing power in surges, and my check engine light came on. It wasn't too bad until I started up a grade and the jeep started chugging up the hill like a choo choo.

Well, hopefully I can still go camping after a trip to the dealer.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

If it's the CPS pickup (formerly known as a distributor) the basic idea is still dead simple. Just less parts. But you still have to keep the proper orientation.

DougW

Reply to
Will Honea