3.8 cam sensor

What exactly is the function of the cam sensor on the 3800 (1987) engine? I hear all the time about the sensor itself or the magnet breaking, yet the cars can be (and often are) driven that way indefinitely. What problems with drivability are encountered when this sensor is not functional?

Reply to
James Goforth

I have read that the cam sensor will enable sequential injection. Without it, the system reverts to multi port injection. I would not expect any drivability problems. I would expect fuel usage to be higher though.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

This is what I have in the 90 Reatta. It will probably set a code, but I find nothing really noticeable with the power, economy, response. Discussed it with a mechanic and he said it isnt worth the pain to replace, unless you are going in the engine anyway.

Reply to
hls

My aunt's 91 Regal Custom 3800 actually ran better in batch mode after the magnet let go.

It happened when I floored it merging onto the interstate from a truck stop.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

FWIW, it turns out I said the car was the wrong year, if anyone's interested. I had forwarded the responses to my original question here to te cars owner, who said the car had a hesitation and somewhat lousy mileage, and he thought the cam sensor issue was the culprit. I posted the question here on my own. I have to top-post and the thread will display backwards beause I'm using the old webtv to post this. Anyway, this is just a follow-up if anyone is still interested or wishes to comment further: =EF=BB=BF Wrong year, its an '89. The 87 wasn't a 3800, just a regular old 3.8L. I've had two mechanics tell me a missing cam signal does cause a drivibility issue, most notably a hesitation and poor fuel mileage. The first one was my high school shop teacher that had been working on cars for 30 something years when I found the code 41 but he didn't know about the magnet problem. The other was where I found out something let's go in the engine instead of it being just the sensor