Cherokee 2-Way Radio Mounting Ideas?

Hi,

As with most newer vehicles that have so much plastic in and around the dash, my 99 Cherokee Sport seems to have some limitations regarding the secure mounting of mobile radio gear. Other than the passenger side of the transmission console, I really have not seen much potential for mounting this stuff. Things have changed since I had my 62 and 69 CJ-5's.where you had tons of room under the dashboard. Has anyone come up with any clever ideas for the Cherokee and other similar models?

My lame installation:

Thanks,

Rob

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Reply to
Ender

Depending on your listening habits..

A company here in Australia (GME Electrophone) has come out with UHF units which can be DIN-mounted into your dash.

Motorola (Aus) had a few at one stage as well, although I can't seem to find the link at the moment. Is it possible there's anyone in the US offering similar, but for what you're after (CB I assume?)

Jas.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Hi Jas,

Thanks for the reply. I suspect I will have to move on from my old gear and do as you suggest with a remote mounted transceiver and a faceplate installation. What the heck, it's only money! Unfortunately there is no single unit that has a combination of bands I use to talk with friends (6 meters, 2 meters, 220mhz, and 440mhz) but there are a few that come close (Yaesu FT8900) which I will probably go with and then use an HT for 220 mhz.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Reply to
Ender

Ender, Unless you want to just slap a bracket and xcvr under the dash, your best bet's gonna be a newer radio with a detachable control head. It'll be easier to secure the radio from elements and theft. I have mine in a Tuffy steel center console along with the antenna auto-tuner. Just figure out how you want to route the interface cable and make sure you mount the control head protected from the elements (in particular Summer Sun). Regards, Drink

Reply to
Drink